conference call Saturday August 2 RUMBLINGS AT GILEAD!

by kool aid man06 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

St Ann.. she's still 99.9999% JW...

She didn't mention anything about the registrar... I need to ask her.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I will be logged on, if possible. Thanks!

• kool aid man06
    kool aid man06

I called the public relations department of the Watchtower Society to find out about Gilead. I was interested in knowing who the current registrar is and got their response on what's going on at Gilead. To hear the conversation with the Watchtower dial in on Saturday night.

• mouthy
    mouthy

bttp

• james_woods
    james_woods

Maybe I am wrong about today's Gilead, but I got the impression that the Registrar was a pretty powerful position at one time. I think that it involved doing the preliminary selection of people who were recommended for the school, checking their creds with their home servants, picking the short list, and the recommending that to the final authorities. It is possible that the registrar also kept record of their progress, and had a hand in selecting their eventual posting to some foreign land. The impression the WTS wanted to make on R&F was that it was as hard to get into Gilead as it would be for a poor black sharecropper to get into the Harvard Law School. This was 1969 to 1971 or so, back when I was a pioneer and Ed's brother Marion made some discreet enquiries on my behalf.

Ed Dunlap never talked much about it back when he was registrar, but I really had the impression that it was a pretty important post - not just keeping a record of who was in the school.

Again, I don't know if there is more than one registrar now, but in Ed's time, he was always referred to as "the" registrar of Gilead.

James

• james_woods
    james_woods

BTW, and again if I can remember it all correctly, you were supposed to already know the language of the foreign land where you were to be assigned. You could not pick the place, but if you knew spanish, it was likely to be central America or such, and so on. I was told that Gilead was to build spirituality and leadership, it was not a language school. This was one near-Bethel opportunity which apparantly being a married couple did not deter your entrance, provided you both knew the language. They almost viewed this as a more stable soldier pair in the field, and getting two for the price of one.

Of course, maybe all that has changed now too.

I mentioned to Marion at the time that I was horrible with languages, but I knew how to fly an airplane since I was 17...my naive thought was that out in the bush country or Africa, they actually flew around to the native villages like the regular church missionaries.

Marion dryly replied (you just had to know his dry wit) that this probably qualified me more for service in Viet Nam with the Army than to be a JW missionary! He was, of course, right as usual.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Hey Kool, is there a reason you do the conference call? I understand it is probably easier that way, but as I was saying you could do a real time pod cast using a DSL or Cable Broadband connection, I believe you can use VOIP (program such as Skype) while also recording. This would save your guest any charges they might incur from calling the line (this is of course unless you are calling them from the conference call).You would also avoid any delay or echo which seems to be apparent I am guessing this is because it is a VOIP line (just through a cable carrier) and it can't handle all the data coming in from listeners. If you streamed in real time over the web you could then just have listeners call in with questions while keeping your guest on the VOIP. Granted this would take work but it would be worth it. Since your recording as you go you could just do a simple convert in to mp3, quicktime etc.. and then host. Just a thought. I haven't researched this much but I'm pretty sure that is how podcasters are able to do real time with call in from home.

• iloowy
    iloowy

Hey, Rick.
    If your conference call is anything like the KHCONF system then you can log-in and check the origination of the listening party and how long they listened and all. Right?

I believe you're going to record the conference and provide it later as a download, or online feed, is that correct?

Well, I'm interested in the contents of the discussion, but can't see spending the money on long distance charges if you'll have the conference available on your website for download or as a feed.

Best wishes.
    --ILOOWY

• horrible life
    horrible life

I would be thrilled to listen, if it was on a podcast, I could download it, and listen to it, on my way to work.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I don't know about that podcast stuff. That may be great for some people that don't have unlimited long distance, but others may not be able to access it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit