feel like I've walked into a tar pit

by lancelink 24 Replies latest jw friends

• lancelink
    lancelink

Around three years ago my wife started to invite the Mormon missionaries in, and have discussions with them.
    This went on for several months, then the get together s started to be 2-3 times a week. I would work late because i wanted
    no part of it. (you see I was seriously starting my fade, and i didn't want to get involved with anything else.
    Well she really was starting to progress with their studies, and since she seemed to be a true JW, I told her that she was sailing in uncharted waters, and she might want to watch herself.
    For the next 2 years they came on a regular schedule, and surprisingly I found myself defending the witnesses, trying to remember points and topics that would prove that the mormon beliefs were false.
    ( talk about walking a thin tightrope here.)
    So I literally told her that she had better speak to the elders in her hall, and that i would agree
    to go along with whatever suggestions that the elders gave her. I figured that they would come down pretty hard on her.
    She spent over three hours speaking to them, and they decided that she was doing nothing wrong !

They said that it must be an encouragement for her to study with the young people, but that she should watch herself closely so that she did not become an apostate/!.
    Now she is seriously tossing the idea around of actually becoming a Mormon!She would just DA herself.
    Personally, I have learned during this time how religions like the Mormons and JW's operate, and it is not all sunshine and roses.

I really am tired, and fed up speaking EVERY night for over two years about religion and beliefs,
    just worn out regarding this subject :(

Does anyone have a personal experience, or some nugget of research that might help me out here ?
    I would really appreciate it.
    Sorry if this is somewhat choppy, she is sitting right across the room from me right now.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Holy crap!!!

That sucks!!!

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Lance,

Here is a website that you may find answers at. http://www.4witness.org/

Hope it helps. It is not pleasant when your spouse finds yet another cult and you

are ready to throw in the towel.

I will be praying for you and your wife.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

Wow, that is crazy! Talk about a double whammy. The reaction of the elders seems really bizarre, do they understand that she is the study here who is learning Mormonism, or do they mistakenly think the Mormons are the studies and that your JW wife is teaching them JWism? Either way, what a bizarre and terrible situation.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that I really feel for you. One cult is bad enough, but to have to deal with two, yikes :-(

• Quandry
    Quandry

Where is formermorman? I'll bet he could help. Maybe you could pm him.

• amama2six
    amama2six

I was thinking the same thing, nameless, it sounds to me the Elders think she's taking opportunity to teach the Mormons about Jehovah versus them teaching HER. I can't see why the Elders would EVER give her the go-ahead to study with Mormons with the possibility of her converting.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hmm, ok you are in a tough, tough spot. She's obviously interested in religion and on some kind of a search. Perhaps you could place a few books around the house on cult mentality, buddism, hinduism, what I'm saying is give her some other options to delve into versus jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It's not much in the way of advice but at this point, what could it hurt? It could be simply that she is losing faith in being a JW and is seeking something to hold on to and the nice young morons mormons seem a compelling alternative at the moment to her.

If focusing on their beliefs and dissproving them isn't working, maybe giving her a wider sample of "truth" to choose from could buy some time to figure out what's behind her sudden "conversion".

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Sounds like she is jumping from the fire back into a hot frying pan. Neither of these groups are any good. I wish I had something worthwhile or meaningful that could help you.

I got nothin'.....

• DJK
    DJK

Utah hasn't come up in your discussions has it?

Polygamy, Polyandry, Polygyny: What's the difference?

Polygyny is one man married to several women.
    Polyandry is one woman married to several men.
    Polygamy refers to either arrangement. The Utah Mormon church practiced polygyny. Several of today's Mormon faiths practice both polygyny and polyandry, which is consistent with the practices of Joseph Smith the faith's founder.

Plural marriage is a a synonym for any of the above and is often used as a euphanism in place of polygamy.

How much of Utah is Mormon?

About 70% of Utah is Mormon.

How many Polygamists are there in Utah?

About 60,000
    (5% of Utah Mormons)

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

The Mormons believe that Native Americans are decendents of a tribe of Israel. That is absurd.

John Smith wrote the Book of Mormon in the 1800's as a new Bible. He didn't write it, as much as he "dictated" it while looking into a hat, in a dark room, while his assistant wrote it down. No one else could read the tablets but him. The people that swore they saw the tablets don't have any credibility. Where are they?

The whole story in the book of Mormon is ridiculous. John Smith was killed early on and became a Martyr for this new "religion". They were ran out of every town because of their ridiculous beliefs, and settled in the Northwest Territory now known as Utah. They are guilty of slaughtering a group of people that were passing through in a wagon train. There was a movie made about it last year. I think it was called "September Dawn".

The movie could be wrong about the massacre being Mormon lead. I doubt it. But their crazy beliefs should be easily proven false. The massacre being only added proof that they are a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit