I'm on steroids too :(

by MsMcDucket 37 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Many of you know that I had bilateral vocal cord paralysis. The cords were in the closed position and required tracheostomy. I had the trach for about 5 months. When one vocal cord recovered, they took the trach out. So I have one paralyzed vocal cord and the other one spasms.

Lately, I've been having all kinds of breathing problems; but the worse is the laryngospasm! I had the longest one ever! I thought that my husband would have to call an ambulance. I ended up going to the ER. It felt like I was about to go into respiratory distress. It was hard for me to breathe, my heart rate was over 112 beats per minute, I had chest pain, and I had a sense of impending doom.

After I told the triage nurse what was going on, they took me back to see a doctor. I had brought my old trach and told the doctor that I wanted it back in! Although, my breathing was almost back to normal, I feared another attack. They put oxygen on me and then called my various doctors (pulmonologist, neck surgeon & ENT, and my Primary Care Physician). The doctor said that he was going to give me Solu-medrol IV(steroid) and Ativan IV (to relax my muscles and decrease the anxiety).

The doctor said that something was going around and it was really affecting babies and people with breathing related disorders. He decided to treat it like "croup". So, I have Prednisone and Ativan to take for about a week. I'm supposed to get in to see the Neck Surgeon to get his opinion during this time.

I think that I need a trach or trach button. It's terrifying when you can't get air into your lungs.

So me and Horriblelife will be dealing with the steroids. I don't feel the rush that she got. Well not yet. Maybe, the Ativan is helping to keep me calm. If I get grumpier, or sillier, or worse, it's the meds!

Maybe, I had an allergic reaction to the cat thread! melindawithtrach.jpg picture by MilkshakesrtastiI told my husband that he may have to put the trach back in!

We'll see!

• fern
    fern

I get steroid injections for a pinched nerve. I hate that they make me gain weight and make me hot. I have a red face for days after getting one.

Fern

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Fern as long as they stop the laryngospasm, I don't care what color it turns me. . . Well I don't think that I would care. *sigh*

• Warlock
    Warlock

Steroids?

I hope it doesn't happen to you, but prepare to get bigger, and I'm not talking muscle.

I have a close relative on them for a different reason. Every once in a while I have to remind her, that as long as they are effective on her condition, it is worth this side effect.

I sincerely hope you get better....................much better.

Warlock

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I hope it doesn't happen to you, but prepare to get bigger, and I'm not talking muscle.

I have a close relative on them for a different reason. Every once in a while I have to remind her, that as long as they are effective on her condition, it is worth this side effect.

Warlock

I don't need to get any bigger! I've been on steroids before and the med seems to make food taste super delicious. I'll have to keep a tighter control on my diabetes too! More finger sticks!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Forgot to say thanks Warlock!

• fern
    fern

I agree, if they help you they are worth the side affects. Hope you feel better soon.

Fern

• amama2six
    amama2six

Get better soon...I really hope the new meds help! I hate the feeling of not being able to breathe, I can't imagine going through what you are. *Hugs* ~April

• Dagney
    Dagney

What a scary thing to go through.

Wishing you comfort now and some resolution soon for the health problems. I enjoy your love of music. May music continue to soothe your soul.

• Switch
    Switch

Hang in there Ms. I don't know anything about your condition, but my dad had a permanent trach and there were always complications. It was quite awful whenever he had a cold. Are you able to talk?

I was on steroids for a few months and I know EXACTLY what you mean about food tasting better. Also, I never felt full! So I did inevitably gain some pounds.

Hope you are doing better soon.

-switch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit