Practising 'Goodness' - from the District Convention

by passwordprotected 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

This hoop jumping in order to prove goodness really creeps me out now. Back then I'd probably done the same thing

• sullengirl0108
    sullengirl0108

I agree with the previous poster....It is creepy and the creepiest thing is that as a kid, I probably would have been forced to do the same thing. There is no way, at 15, that I would have, on my own, rejected a dying friends request. Never. Now, my mom and dad, would have sat me down and said..."Now, honey, you know how JEHOVAH, feels about birthdays. I am sure JEHOVAH will bless your efforts. Lets; take another look at that School brochure" *shudder*

Of course,as soon as the kid died, I would have raked myself across coals...blamed myself for being such a dolt and cried my eyes out. AND there is no way..no matter how "commendable" my actions were after...deaf signing or kingdom hall building or district convention volunteering, that I would have been able to call myself "good" ever again. It would totally fuck me up.

Now, maybe that's just me.

• Lady Zombie
  • insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am just in awe how the society can get a bunch of folks who are seemingly nice people and reprogram them to be lemmings.......frightening!

• dozy
    dozy

The lamest experience at our DC was a pioneer who “struggled” with street work. She described the “persecution” (actually used that word) of people who walked past her & didn’t accept a tract (does the guy handing out the 50% “Golf Sale” leaflets view rejection in the same light?).

Anyway - her fantastic experience was that one person had accepted a tract & she had mentioned that there was an assembly coming up. He told her that he might attend. The sister said that she hadn’t seen him yet , but she hoped that he would turn up. (Yeh - like I hope the cheque from a long lost relatives estate turns up.)

That was it. I was waiting for the punch line , but it never came. “Wasn’t that a fine experience brothers.” Some scratching of heads & puzzled expressions. One person behind me actually laughed.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

How much do you want to bet that this "upstanding Witness" young girl is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses within the space of five years?

I just hope that she has an easy time forgiving herself.

• lancelink
    lancelink

too bad someone didn't go up to this girl and ask her why she was worried more about an organization
    than her friend.

She might now be posting on this site !

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    finding appropriate real-life experiences as called for in the DC outline is not easy. ..... the stories are going to be stretched nearly to the point of lying.

Who's to say that the dying girl was truly the sister's "dear friend"?

Realizing it would be her last birthday, what if she had invited the entire class and couldn't care less if the sister didn't attend?

• observador
    observador

I love when I see "experiences" like these being reported on the Conventions. It is this type of thing that helps reasonable people to see through it all.

It simply screams CULT CULT CULT all over.

This may even help the JW girl herself. As a thinking human being she may come to the realization of how bad she looked by doing and proudly reporting what she did.

What a crooked way of thinking!

Observador.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Wee update on this one. The girl who died from cancer was the daughter of my son's school teacher. She also attended the church we now go to. Perhaps unsurprisingly this JW girl's example of 'goodness' was reported back to the dead girl's family. You can only imagine how they felt. Turned out they'd had made a special invitation to the party that didn't contain any reference to birthday. But the JW girl still stood firm to this Satanic temptation to celebrate the painfully short life of her friend and refused to attend.

Don't JWs realise how their self-righteous, scripture-twisting actions are perceived in the community and how it doesn't endear them to the public at large?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit