Bibles to read???

by Troggle 20 Replies latest jw friends

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I had never seen the Skeptics Annotated site, though a bit critical at times, does have some great comparisons and does trigger thoughts!

• sacolton
    sacolton

Awwww, A@G ... have they taken away your faith?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Read???

I hear they make good rolling papers....

• outofthebox
  • OBVES
    OBVES

Any Bible is good to read and it must have 66 books as the minimum and these same 66 books must be in any Bible we want to read .So it stands to reason that if God Yahweh is going to judge the world by His word he will use these 66 books only as they are most widely available to people around the world.
    My native language is Polish and the King James Version of the Bible is the best according to me for various good reasons.

One of the reasons is I understood that recently is that King James Bible was first published in 1611 AD and I am predicting the end of the world in 2011 AD and that means we have a 400-year period between these two dates which is reminiscent of Israel's slavery of 400 years.The last letter in the Hebrew alphabet is tau which resembles a cross ; so Jesus can be also included in this period as this last letter can have a numerical value of 400 if you know my posts.So , you can see a good reason for using King James Version of the Bible.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I just bought, yesterday, the "Apologetics Study Bible" Which uses the Holman bible. If you want to believe the bible people can explain things away and make sense of the errors and contradictions.

And if you dont want to believe the bible you can find all kinds of reasons not to.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I like the Revised English Bible. It includes the Deuterocanonical books. However, for the Old Testament I found the Stone Edition Tanach to be very helpful.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like the American Standard and King James, too. IMO, for prose and simply beauty of language, they can't be matched.

The Message Bible just packs a punch that will get - and keep - your attention.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

... speaking of The Message Bible, look how Matthew 24:45-51 (WT's favorite) is rendered.

Matthew 24:45 -47 "Who here qualifies for the job of overseeing the kitchen? A person the Master can depend on to feed the workers on time each day. Someone the Master can drop in on unannounced and always find him doing his job. A God-blessed man or woman, I tell you. It won't be long before the Master will put this person in charge of the whole operation.

48 -51 "But if that person only looks out for himself, and the minute the Master is away does what he pleases—abusing the help and throwing drunken parties for his friends—the Master is going to show up when he least expects it and make hash of him. He'll end up in the dump with the hypocrites, out in the cold shivering, teeth chattering."

I don't see anything in that but an exhortation for all disciples to be faithful and trustworthy.

The WT sees differently, and has built an entire doctrine around those verses. How presumptuous!

Sylvia

• Synergy
    Synergy

I like the NIV (New International Version) and the NLT (New Living Translation) Also the American Standard is great! Have fun testing them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit