Bibles to read???

by Troggle 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Troggle
    Troggle

Can anyone please give me a little advice on a good bible to use? After looking around my house I realized that I only have one bible and it is the NWT. I have tried using the KJV but would like a good one in regular english rather than old english and I have been brainwashed into distrusting all of them. What are some good copies I could check out?

I know this may seem a retarded request to some but after 10 years of avoiding even thinking about god I found this websight and it has helpped me a lot and I would like to learn more without some body of people telling me what I have to believe.

thanks

Trog

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

This is the only one I read.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I'm going to step out of my usual role here for a moment, and say that you can go here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html and enter your favorite passages, then try out the various translations from the drop-down menu and pick the one you think delivers the passage in the best manner.

If I still believed in the Bible, I imagine I would also have liked the version snowbird constantly refers to, the Message Bible. It is very modern in it's language and phrasing, perhaps a little too much so, and personally it seems to me to have somewhat of an evangelical agenda, but as mentioned; I think I would have enjoyed it back when I still believed.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The New American Standard Bible and the New King James Version are often recommended for accuracy. The New International Version is less literal, but it's good for bringing out the original thoughts in language we can better understand. For smooth reading as well as fairly good accuracy, I also like the New Living Translation.

• sacolton
    sacolton

KJV

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

In all honesty I love this site: http://www.biblegateway.com/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I like the New Jerusalem Bible.

BTS

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

After my exit, I bought one of those 8-way translations (hard to find these days, out of print!) and used it exclusively. My brother was also studying intensely and was using "The Message" Bible, as referred to him by a Pastor of a local church... I'm not saying it's literally "word for word" accurate, but if you want to read the Bible in ENGLISH and have it tell the story in a way that is meaningful, it's great.

You can read it online here: http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=65

Compare Galatians or Romans reading The Message with the same books from the NWT or KJV, and you'll see what I mean.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Holman Study Bible is good too...

Don't ask me though, I don't believe in the Bible... they are handy to have around though...

Have you read any books about the Bible?

A@G

• still_in74
    still_in74
    Don't ask me though, I don't believe in the Bible

wow A@G - you have moved that far?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit