If the WT ever turned on Booze like they did Cigarettes....?

by Open mind 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

For not celebrating holidays and all of the other do nots, they have good old fashion Christ approved booze ( thank you Jesus )

I knew a lot of JWS that were heavy drinkers because of this , elders, PO whatever, of course its a unhealthy activity, but since it is seen as a righteous

sanctified drink, it must remain.......God Bless Canadian Club and bless you God for leaving us one destructive vice.

• donny
    donny

No doubt many would jump ship. Remember Rutherford was a very prolific drinker and often made fun of those who did not. Below is paste from my experience in the JW's where I report on a party my exwife and I attended.

Besides all of the business problems we encountered, we also discovered that the Witnesses here in Albuquerque seemed to be more worldly when it came to entertainment. We were invited to a Witness party that had several elders and ministerial servants present. The first thing we noticed upon entering the house was the elaborate "bar" with every imaginable form of liquor one could think of. After getting our drinks we were directed to the den in the back of the house, where loud rock-and-roll music was blaring. The room was totally dark except for the light coming off the large mirror ball hanging from the ceiling. It was "Saturday Night Fever," Witness style. About halfway through the party a song came on that suggested immorality. When I questioned the brother who was playing the tapes and records he proudly declared; "These songs are recorded by an all-Witness band." I guess that made it right.

Watched By the Watchtower - Donny Reed

• cawshun
    cawshun

This is what really agravates me!! My son-in-law, raised jw and his sister raised jw are drinker's. Their mother, a pioneer is a wine and beer drinker. Oh yes they can have their booze but don't dare let my grand-kids have a birthday party. Funny, a lot of my daughters friends, 5, where killed in high school from drinking and driving accidents. I have never heard of any small children being killed at a birthday party. But one is evil, the other isn't. Can you guess which one?

I would be thrilled to see the Watch Tower ban drinking, that would be the one thing that would make them want out!!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Two things, at least, would happen:

(1) It would be the blackest day in the history of Bethel; and (2) ol' Rutherford would be spinning like a top in his grave!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Even if the G B had a brainstorm and thought it a good idea, they could not do it.. The Bible is so clear on the matter

"Take a little wine for your stomach" Paul to Timothy

"Nothing better than to enjoy food & wine after hard work" somewhere in Ecclesiasties.

Jesus drank alcohol, used it to signify his blood in a holy ritual. He even use the Holt Spirit to produce gallons of the stuff for a wedding party.

If the Borg ever brought in such a rule the rank and file would know that they were overstepping the mark and simply ignore it.

• blondie
    blondie

I tend to agree with you, Bluesbrother. It seems fairly clear, except for the religions that claim that drinking alcohol is unchristian, such as Mormons and some Protestant religions.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

If they knock out the booze then they might as well escalate it to coffee..

At this point they could just call themselves "Mormons"

Cheers!

hope4others

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Years ago, I used to be such a geek that I fantasized about being a Bethelite or a Gilead missionary one day. Recently, I've been able to sit down and read the stories of former Bethelites on the Internet (one of the first things that I looked into when I decided that I was finally at a point where I wanted to learn about the Org behind the scenes), and was horrified to learn about how much drinking goes on at Bethel. New boy on here put it best, I think:

They don't tolerate much at bethel.......but if they kicked everyone out of Bethel, for drinking to much, the place would have shut down years ago.......So I'm driving down the FDR drive one Sunday, taking an old timer back to Bethel, (been there about 40 years) after giving a talk at my hall............ he points over to the Schafer Brewery and says " Son,......if the ever shut down that factory ........ they would have to shut down..... that one too!"..........pointing to Bethel. LOL

Source: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/129460/1.ashx

• Alexia
    Alexia

"Being allowed to drink is the only fun thing witnesses are allowed to do. They use it to cope with all that's been taken away and they use drinking to have fun. I've been to some great parties at elder's houses! Getting drunk was not a problem in my congregation. But you'd better be careful about everything else because they would gladly follow you around town to get evidence for a good ole committee meeting."

Okay! Those parties were a hit. I seen more beer, wine and sprits at JW parties (more elders, the better because you can always say "bro. PO was there!") than at some "wordly" gatherings I've been at. Just be fresh as a daisy for the 9:30 PT the next morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit