Damn, Lawrence Hughes' Case Was Thrown Out of Court...

by jamiebowers 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am most concerned that Mr. Hughes did not hear what the judge was telling him. The judge says he needs a lawyer, not a "suitcase full of money".

I am also bothered that a Watchtower appointed lawyer supposedly represented the teen's interests in the court.

Note that the Watchtower society handily got themselves removed (spent the time and effort), yet the doctors of the cross cancer institute did not. The Watchtower had a great deal more to lose on this case.

Also, to make clear on Bethany's last days. She would have lived longer with further blood transfusions. She was deceived in to believing that quack remedies could substitute for blood.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    The judge says he needs a lawyer, not a "suitcase full of money".

But how do you get a qualified lawyer without a "suitcase full of money"?

• jgnat
    jgnat

If he had a case, he'd have a lawyer. There would be money in a civil case. There is no money in this case. What we have is an irreconcilable, grieving father.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know, the Watchtower society could have saved themselves a lot of time and expense if they had allowed the father to visit his dying daughter.

I swear, missing out on his daughter's last moments is the real tragedy.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Amen to that!

For Lawrence and Bethany.

• Mary
    Mary

I empathize with Lawrence Hughes alot. He's lost everything: his daughter, his wife, his family and all the friends he had. His life will never be the same.

Unfortunately, I just don't think he had a strong enough case to present because his daughter's death seemed inevitable, which is why the courts finally said "no more blood transfusions". He was not able to prove that having more transfusions would have saved her because there is no evidence that it would have. What I don't understand is why a bone marrow transplant wasn't attempted. Aren't Witnesses allowed to accept that now? My understanding is that bone marrow transplants have a much better chance of saving someone with leukemia, than chemotherapy (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This case is different than what my father went through last Fall. His case was cut and dry: he needed blood to save his life as he was bleeding internally and he needed it quick. Had he not gotten the plasma, he would have died. It would most likely be far easier for me to have sued the WTS because all the medical evidence is there showing that a transfusion would have saved his life. I just don't see that Lawrence had much of a chance of winning this one.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

At this point I think he needs to heed the judge's advice. He needs a lawyer.

Did not one of the articles say that his daughter received 80 transfusions? Didn't it also say the transfusions were discontinued because they were not helping?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

We all know its possible to not have a strong case against WT, yet know that their policies caused you irreparable harm. They are slippery, duplicitous people (at least the leadership is). Its one of the many reasons why so many people hate that organization.

Isaac Carmignani

• dinah
    dinah

Why can't we just lynch them??? How many lives and how much human suffering must they cause?

Sorry, werewolf withdrawals.

• Quotes
    Quotes

jgnat said:

"She would have lived longer with further blood transfusions. She was deceived in to believing that quack remedies could substitute for blood."

--> EXACTLY!!!

Also, I wonder if the court-mandated transfusion would have been more beneficial if the patient wasn't under the stress of thinking that they were "the equivalent of rape".

See the WTS self fulfilling prophecy in action? They said "Transfusions are useless, dangerous, and make god angry." Then, when the patient is given a forced transfusion, they are at maximum stress level, due to their beleiving the WTS lies. As a result of the stress, their condition deteriorates. At this point the WTS says "See? we told you they were useless".

In the end, this case must make WTS very happy. They get everything they want: supposed "proof" that transfusions don't work (of course, they do, but don't tell JWs that); proof that Satan wants to violate JWs with the 'rape' of transfusions, and most importantly, a martyr to top it off. Could not have worked out better for WTS if they had written the script themselves. They must be thrilled.

From the Globe and Mail article:

"“There's no evidence to support any claims against us,” the teen's lawyer, David Gnam, told reporters outside the court."

Uuuummm.... the teen's lawyer? Doesn't globe and mail know that David Gnam is a Watchtower lawyer? Isn't it clear that although he claims/claimed to be present Bethany "pro bono", that due to the intimate and inextricable connection between Gnam and WTS, that he clearly was in a CONFLICT OF INTEREST situation? And why doesn't the Law Society of Upper Canada know about Gnam's SANCTIONABLE BEHAVIOR?

Also, doesn't this sound like something Bart Simpson would say?

Homer: "Boy, did you steal a cookie?"

Bart: "You can't prove that!... um, I mean.... there's no evidence to support any claim that I stole a cookie" (as he finishes destroying the evidence by shredding it... I mean, eating it.

~Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit