Jesus our Mediator

by TooBad TooSad 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gopher
    Gopher

When I was a JW, it dawned on me that they taught Jesus wasn't my mediator.

It seemed crazy, because I thought I needed him to mediate for my salvation. After all, weren't we taught to end every prayer with the words "in the name of Jesus amen"? Didn't the Bible say there was a mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus?

If you're praying through Jesus, isn't he your mediator? This denial by the WTS that he could be the mediator for all never seemed right to me.

• tfjw
    tfjw

sacolton, when I said "old doctrine" I meant that it's been around for a very long time - not in the sense of "old light." I should have clarified that in my post.

Some within the "faithful and discreet slave" among the WT, since the release of the New World Translation, often used 1 Cor. 10:4 passage to "prove" that they were the mediator for the "great crowd":

"For they used to drink from the spiritual rock-mass that followed them, and that rock-mass meant the Christ."

This is a corrupt translation for 1 Corinthians 10:4. By using the phrase "rock-mass" instead of "rock" (the Greek is "petros" - simply, "rock"), they are able to say that it's a body of individuals and not simply one individual. The words "rock-mass" and "meant" don't belong in the text but serves (or used to) as a "proof text" of their belief that they are "The Christ" mediator.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit