politics, global warming, and gas prices

by Junction-Guy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I am so sick of hearing about global warning, I hope that no matter who gets elected, he is able to do something about these gas prices.

$52 to fill up my tank, not even a big car or an SUV, and it wasn't even bone dry empty.

This is ridiculous !!

The politicians need to start doing more about gas prices and a little less worrying about global warming.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Don't worry yourself too much about global warming. Let a later generation deal with it and its consequences.

As to fuel prices, the market forces at play -- rising demand, flat production, market speculation -- are hardly anything a president can do much about. Congress has called many hearings lately demanding answers from oil company executives. Trying to "solve" this problem is like spitting into the wind. Perhaps now that prices are higher, the oil companies can afford to expand drilling and development of sources, which will lead to a greater supply and a relief in prices.

America first had an energy crisis in 1973, which feels similar to this one. And laws were passed to get going with higher miles-per-gallon standards and development of alternative energy sources which would serve our country. Then came the cheap oil of the 1980's, and President Reagan repealed the progressive laws of the 1970's, and the American public fell asleep to the need to conserve and to develop alternate sources. We're now paying the price for that backslide. Now with gas at $4 a gallon and no relief in sight, the average American has to find ways to cut back. But there are no readily-available alternatives to using crude oil and refined petroleum to meet our transportation energy needs currently. We are years behind where we should be.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The politicians need to start doing more about gas prices

You mean the politicians connected to the oil industry?

They should find ways to make it easier on the consumer?

LOL!

• brinjen
    brinjen

As the polar caps continue to melt and the sea level rises, there will be less land to travel on anyway. That should help.

• Simon
    Simon

Oil is a finite resource and we're probably past peak oil plus there is rising demand.

It's going to get more expensive and whoever is in power will be able to do little about it.

If anything, your gas is still way too cheap.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

1. It appears that global warming is happening.
    2. It appears that humans are not the cause
    3. The government should not be in control of prices, the market should.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know what happened during the last oil crisis. People responded by buying fuel-efficient cars. It is happening again. I predict more bicycles on the streets in the next few years.

I was a teenager last time, and it was my first experience with media hype. I put off getting a driver's license because I was convinced that all cars would be gone in a few years anyways. The most respected pundits at the time predicted that the oil would be gone in ten years.

What happened? Rising costs made it feasable to explore for new reserves. And like I said, consumers picked cars that used less gas.

Of course, there will be an upper limit. The world's natural reserves for gasoline will be used up one day. I'm banking on shifting demands and new technologies.

• Mary
    Mary

There were 13 people and a couple of companies in Quebec charged the other day with 'speculating' which of course is helping to gouge the hell out of us with these insane gas prices:

Quebec companies charged with fixing gas prices

Competition Bureau probe continuing in other parts of Canada
    Last Updated: Thursday, June 12, 2008 | 7:31 PM ET
    CBC News

Criminal charges have been laid against 13 people and 11 companies accused of fixing the price of gas in Quebec, the federal Competition Bureau said Thursday.

The suspects and companies operated in Victoriaville, Thetford Mines, Magog and Sherbrooke.

Three companies and one person pleaded guilty in Quebec Superior Court in Victoriaville on Thursday to related charges.

The companies, which included Ultramar Ltd., face up to $2 million in fines in total.

Sheridan Scott, commissioner of the Competition Bureau, announced the charges at a news conference in Montreal Thursday.Sheridan Scott, commissioner of the Competition Bureau, announced the charges at a news conference in Montreal Thursday.(CBC)

"Today's announcement sends a clear message that the Competition Bureau will take action to stop price fixers whenever we have evidence that they have broken the law," bureau commissioner Sheridan Scott told a news conference in Montreal on Thursday.

"Price-fixing is a fraud against consumers. It deprives Canadians of the benefits of a competitive market, including a lower price and a greater choice."

The bureau alleges the gas retailers — individual operators who ran their stations under the banners of Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada and Irving oil — called each other to agree on prices.

Ultramar was fined $1.85 million, while Les Pétroles Therrien Inc., operating under the Petro-T banner, and Distributions Petrolières Therrien were fined a combined $179,000.

An Ultramar employee, Jacques Ouellet, was fined $50,000.

Scott said an "overwhelming majority" of businesses in the markets involved are accused of participating in the alleged scheme. It’s difficult to estimate how much the alleged price fixing cost consumers, she said.

The charges result from an “extensive investigation” by the bureau from 2004 to 2007 involving wiretaps, searches and informants. The probe continues, Scott said, with investigations being carried out in other parts of Canada.

Ultramar said in a statement issued Thursday that it will not challenge the charges.

People fill up at an Ultramar gas station on Thursday, in Montreal. Ultramar is being fined $1.85 million.People fill up at an Ultramar gas station on Thursday, in Montreal. Ultramar is being fined $1.85 million.(Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press)

"This is obviously a regrettable situation that we deplore," said Ultramar motorist sales network vice-president Christian Houle.

Consumer advocates lauded the competition bureau’s move, saying it proves what many gas buyers have suspected for years.

The charges “give a clear signal to those who will be tempted to [create] cartels not to do it,” said Charles Tanguay, a spokesman for l’Union des Consommateurs, Quebec’s consumer watchdog.

“We see that there are severe penalties, [and] there might be class-action lawsuits,” possibly launched in upcoming days, he said.

Motorists across the country have been outraged this spring as gas prices climbed to new record highs, crossing the $1.50 a litre mark in major Quebec urban centres last week.

The charges will likely fuel public anger at oil companies, which will be damaging to the industry, Tanguay said.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Motorists across the country have been outraged this spring as gas prices climbed to new record highs

Bullhonkus. If you are outraged at the price of something, you dont buy it. People act like the oil companies have them by the sack. They dont, people continue to buy their product, they continue to charge what the market will bear. Arent you glad you had years to get ready for this? Arent you glad 87 didnt jump from .99 to $4.00 over night?

Instead of bellyaching, how about using this as an impetus to become more upward mobile? Like getting better education and a higher paying job? When I was searching for new employment I would only take a job if the company would provide me with a vehicle and pay my fuel costs.

Major oil is great. They are some of the highest paying employers for a non-college grad you can find.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

PS:

What are you folks planning to do when the oil runs out? HUH? Ya you know, when the time comes that you cant buy a gallon of gas even if you have a million bucks in your back pocket? You planning on the government to swoop in and save you? Best start planning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit