getting over it - how long does that take?

by Switch 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Switch
    Switch

Well, I'm back from feeding the Big monkey and the little monkeys. It's a good thing I didn't see that post from Missinglink BEFORE I fed him. ha. ha. Thanks for all the insight. Everyone's post brings a little help in some way. Wings, I was raised in from 8, baptized at 19, getting out at 37. So it is quite a shocker to the system. I'm used to big changes in my life but this one takes the prize. I can see how it affects my life on so many different levels. But I think I'm making a decent start and have a positive outlook for the future. I recognize that reading the WT lit. is unhealthy for my sanity like some posters implied. But I think it's important for me right now and will help to put things behind me. And it probably is morbid curiousity. It's like rubber-necking around a car crash. Ya gotta see what happened no matter how bad it is. When someone digs up quotes from old publications, I always read them with fascination...like, no way did they say that...But, of course, they did.

Cunning, I feel the same way. I'd like to move on and not think of myself as a former JW. Trouble is, I haven't figured out what a normal lifestyle is yet. But I've been making better use of my free meeting nights and learning new hobbies. yippee!

• changeling
    changeling
    I haven't figured out what a normal lifestyle is yet.

There is no such animal. And now you don't have the WT to tell you that if you don't do everything they say you are not normal. You and your family get to make the rules according to what works for you.

Enjoy!

changeling :)

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I think that as long as you see me on this website, I haven't fully gotten over it.

But I now feel very comfortable saying "As a former JW" or "When I was a JW I did" all in the past tense. THAT feels good. I am happy not to be a JW. No regrets I left. There really is no "normal". But like you, I am rediscovering myself without wasting all that time with the JWs...

A@G

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I'm here, and I've been over it for years.....well till I get df'd or dA'd with out my initiation then I'll be pissed!

h4o

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Hope...

Can I get your PO's address? I wanna let him know you're cavortin with a bunch of apostates and it better stop!You'll be Dfd in no time! Yaayyyy!

A@G

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm past the anger.

I guess that's good.

I think I'll be fully recovered in forty or fifty years.

• sparrow
    sparrow

I'm still pissed - when I think about it - mainly because I can't convince my remaining family that it is a load of bulls#$t and then the years they made me feel guilty about everything. I think it will come up in conversation with me and all my friends that have left (quite a lot!) for a long while yet...

• lancelink
    lancelink

and oh thanks for letting me put ALL my life dreams on hold for a fluckin pipe dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oompa, I hear you loud and clear.

Just hang in there I hope that things work out well for you

(by the way, since I got your attention, I really appreciate your comments)

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Don't be surprised if it isn't a smooth approach to normal. I "figured it out" when I was 9, absolutely sure I would not be a JW at 13 .... not bad ups and downs here, basically ok without the Borg ... then THE WORST time was Feb-May of THIS YEAR. (long story, but how I ended up here).

Contrary to what a lot of people say, I actually seem to get comfort from looking upon the madness with my own eyes (ie going back to a meeting, trying to talk to JW's etc)

Its a hard thing, but its survivable.
    Bring_the_Light

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Here's the deal for me. I left the JW's in late 1993, but the real anger didn't set in until 1997. From 1994-1997 I had no proof that the Watchtower was a lying cult, I didn't really believe in it, but I didn't totally discount it either. I still expected Armageddon to come, but after 1994 came and went, I just knew something was wrong.

It wasn't until I came online and discovered the extent of the lying this organization has done, well that was when my anger kicked in, and it is still there to this day.

I guess as long as the Watchtower is still around and still ruining people's lives, marriages, and childhoods, then the anger will probably never go away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit