Children-any went from JW to Atheist?

by lonelysheep 21 Replies latest social family

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

We rode past the kingdom hall a few days ago, when my daughter (8) said, "That's the church Mommy and I used to go to."

I said, "Yes, it is, and we do not go to any religious places anymore." I said that b/c I can't bear to take her to any even if she wants to go. At the same time, we have friends and family who go to church, so they have an outlet.

My son (6) said, "I didn't go there." He was only 2 when I left. My daughter then said, "I just don't believe in god anymore," in a neutral tone like she'd given up Santa, which I guess is next this xmas. My son said, "I still do". His peers talk to him about god constantly.

My daughter, though, I questioned who she was praying to when she would pray a few times in the past year or two. I made her think about what she was doing and why. My son is not of maturity to comprehend thinking about it, so god exists with him and it's fine. He does call me out when I say, "Jesus Christ!" rather than some curse word. He tells me that god will get mad at me. I tell him, "Baby, Mommy doesn't believe in God and not everybody does. I won't say it around you if it bothers you." To him, it's as if I am breaking the law. LOL

*Forgot to add.......one Simpsons episode came on months ago which was big on church and god. She asked me flat out, "Mommy, is god real?" I replied, "No."

So, I was wondering if anyone else has children that went from kh kids to the anti-christ?

I think it's time for me to get one of the books on godless parenting.

(I'd appreciate feedback absent of flaming and/or deroggatory remarks. TIA)

~L who loves being a mom everyday.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Even though I'm an adult in my thirties (no children), I was raised a JW, lost my "faith" around 14, kept it secret, completely lost belief in god during my late twenties, and still keep it secret because my folks are faithful JWs. It's been a long road. But I'm happier now as an atheist than I ever was as a JW.

Your children are fortunate. They're still young and can explore all the possibilites and make up their own minds later. If they would be raised as a JW, they would never get to question anything, they would miss out on school activities, they would be discouraged from seeking higher education, and on.

http://www.atheistparents.org/

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I got both of mine out before jw's did enough damage for them to give up on God. My son is especially spiritual, not christian though. My daughter would be more in the believes but not sure what role a god would play in humankind's life. She would be more pagan. And both of these are close to what I believe.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This part about your 6-year-old caused me some curiosity:

His peers talk to him about god constantly.

Why do they do that? When I was that age I don't remember God coming much at all, except maybe in the context of "what church do you go to?" Maybe times are different these days.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Even though I'm an adult in my thirties (no children), I was raised a JW, lost my "faith" around 14, kept it secret, completely lost belief in god during my late twenties, and still keep it secret because my folks are faithful JWs. It's been a long road. But I'm happier now as an atheist than I ever was as a JW.

Me, too, LadyZombie. I struggled with my faith in god at that age. It was a bad time filled with anger. No more of that, though. I think that's why I had no anger issues after leaving jw's. All of my anger dissapated before them. That was my own experience.

Your children are fortunate. They're still young and can explore all the possibilites and make up their own minds later. If they would be raised as a JW, they would never get to question anything, they would miss out on school activities, they would be discouraged from seeking higher education, and on.

http://www.atheistparents.org/

Yes. That's all I want, for them to be able to go either way on their own. "God" is not something I can fight.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    FHN: I got both of mine out before jw's did enough damage for them to give up on God.

That's good, and I feel the same. :)

My son is especially spiritual, not christian though. My daughter would be more in the believes but not sure what role a god would play in humankind's life. She would be more pagan. And both of these are close to what I believe.

Someone very close to me is what I would call a spiritual pagan! A mix of both.

Gopher: Why do they do that? When I was that age I don't remember God coming much at all, except maybe in the context of "what church do you go to?" Maybe times are different these days.

It's not so much from his friends at school as it is his cousion of the same age. If you think of how jw's are in preaching any second their mouth opens (some ppl), then that is how his cousin is. Sunday school and the sermon teaches him this. So when this kid learns something new, his alpha male personality shoves it down my son's throat. On top of being a pint sized bible thumper, he's undisciplined and boundary-less. He told me he wants to be a criminal when he grows up and wants to be on the FBI's most wanted list. His dad is a cop. Praise be to Jesus, though, and it's all okay in their eyes. They are teaching him to judge, IMO.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I thought my daughter had settled on nonbelief, but I guess she's been influenced to get into some kind of Jewish/French mysticism or somesuch, from hearing her talk. Personally, I'd never even heard of this Shia Labeouf deity.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

LOL SixofNine! Is that what he is?! Besides gorgeous, I mean. :)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

meh... thou should have no other gods than Da'

:D~

• wings
    wings

SIX....I bet I would set a JWD record....all six atheist.....I'm not quite there yet, but they are routing for me.

wingsnot sure if I should be happy or sad....just the honest truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit