Keep Yourselves In God's Love: Why Birthdays are from the Devil

by truthseeker 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

In Luke, it says even the angels all sang at Jesus' birth, so his 'birth day' was plenty important, not just his death. So is eveyone else's.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Welcome, Mrs. Fiorini!

I really enjoyed your post - although I had heard about the psalms originally being of Egyptian origin, now I have some books that I can delve into to get more information in that regard. Very interesting, indeed! That's what intrigues me about the Catholics, they aren't afraid to give credit where credit is due, and don't shy away from exposing pagan influences, wherever they may be found. They have freely admitted that both circumcision and baptism were practiced by pagans before being adopted by 'God's people' but because they were adopted, therefore their pagan ancestry is of no consequence...I find that approach refreshing and liberating. At least they admit to the pagan influences, whereas the WT does not. In that regard, I find the Catholics a little more forthcoming...

Thanks for the info!

Oh, and Mary: your information on the connection between the birthstones for each month of the year and the Bible is PRICELESS!! I will make good use of that - thanks for that enlightenment!

• sir82
    sir82

Someone, somewhere on this forum, many years ago, put together a side-by-side comparison of Watchtower "reasoning" on birthdays with a discussion of the Bible's mention of cosmetics.

For the exact same reasons one "shouldn't" celebrate birthdays, one cannot wear makeup: The only mentions of cosmetics in the Bible have negative connotations (Jezebel, etc.), draws attention to the individual, has pagan origins, etc.

Idiots.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And I suppose having something to differentiate one year from the others, or one day from the others, is also from the Devil. Anything to ban anyone from ever having any fun.

And it's a blatant lie that only two birthdays are mentioned in the Bible. Job's children are referenced as celebrating their birthdays, and there is no mention of someone getting murdered or of Job reproving them. And perfect angels celebrated the first Christmas, or the birthday of Jesus (again without any heads being cut off). No mention was made of those angels being punished for it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

IMO, the only significant statement is the quote from the WBE. But, what other customs did the early Christians consider 'pagan' ? And did they avoid birthdays entirely as a result of that opinion of it's background? Did any of the early marriage traditions of the Christians borrow from pagan [or any non-Jewish] source. I don't think this single statement would hold up under close scrutiny of the Christians' attitudes following Jesus' death. But I am no expert on such historical issues.

The rest of the reasoning is shallow, weak, and attempting to draw conclusions from the first.

Of course, all legitimacy is lost if one posits the Bible to be unreliable.

Is this a scan of the newest book release? If so, does anyone know of a PDF of this yet somewhere?

Jeff

• JWalker
    JWalker

In French they would say : "C'est de l'en***age de mouche !" It's to be ... unfair with the flies !" Johnie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit