Keep Yourselves In God's Love: Why Birthdays are from the Devil

by truthseeker 35 Replies latest jw friends

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

"Therefore, let no one judge you because of what you eat or drink or about the observance of annual holy days, New Moon Festivals, or weekly worship days." (Colossians 2:16 God's Word Translation)

Don't you love it when the Watchtower Society directly contradicts the Bible?

Sorry Watchtower, but God says you can't judge me "about the observance of annual holy days."

So as usual, when I have to choose between listening to the Watchtower Society or listening to the Bible, I think I'll choose the Bible.

• Mary
    Mary
    The only times the Bible mention electricity, it is as a destructive force, which is used and commanded by God. It is only logical therefore, that God is not pleased with us using electricity in a recreational or life-supporting manner.

Exactly. And since all of mankind's problems are because Eve ate some fruit, wouldn't it be um, 'logical' that "mature Christians" today, shouldn't be eating any fruit, since the outcome was so bad??

• booby
    booby

nor should mature christian men be eating women because they were so bad

• booby
    booby

O, sorry, that was off topic

• booby
    booby

Notice in the box on page 150: the book The Lore of Birthdays states: "other holidays lift the heart, (good I guess) but birthdays warm the ego (bad I guess)." Does that mean that the other hoidays that lift the heart like Walpurgis Night and Halloween are ok?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Isn`t that nice..More Watchtower Bullsh*t!!..LOL!!..They forgot to mention a birthday..The birth Of Jesus..The bible says,the angels Rejoiced..The Angels celebrated the Birth of Jesus!.....The Watchtower would have you ignore that..The Watchtower would have you ignore many things in the bible.....The Watchtower is in charge!.....God does as he`s told by the WBT$..And..Jesus is out of a job......The WBTS is the new Messiah!.............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Hello Everyone, I have been reading JWD for awhile and enjoying everyone's comments. I decided to sign on today with a comment of my own that I thought some of you might find interesting. After being raised a Witness I left in 1989 when I realized it was not "the truth" after all. After some years of having no religion I joined a Catholic Church and participated in a parish Bible study. At the time we were studying the Psalms and used a book called "Psalms For All Seasons" by John F. Craghan (1993 Liturgical Press) as a resource. Imagine my shock when we read the author's comments about Psalm 19, that it was "originally a pagan hymn honoring the Semitic god El...In its Israelite form the hymn naturally praises the God of Israel." Or his comments on Psalm 29 as follows, "Scholars generally agree that this Psalm was originally a pagan composition extolling the Canaanite god Baal, the weather god who through storms and rains brings fertility to the earth...The heavenly beings in verse 1 were originally the minor gods of the Canaanite pantheon. In appropriating this hymn for her worship, Israel substituted the name of her god Yahweh (translated "the Lord") for that of Baal." (In the New World Translation heavenly beings is translated sons of strong ones.) No one else in the Bible study even thought twice about those statements but I nearly fell out of my chair! I chuckled about it for weeks. Needless to say, any condemnation from the WT about holidays and pagan customs and what God must think of them appears in a whole new light for me now.

• VM44
    VM44

If birthdays are bad and to be avoided, why did the Watchtower commemorate the 100th anniversity of the founding of theThe Watchtower Bible and Track Society, Inc?

It is OK to note the birthday of a corporation, but not that of an individual?

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

I know quite a bit about the church of Satan, and as far as I know there is no such thing as Satanists. Members of the Church of Satan do not congregate or meet in any way. There is no doctrine to speak of. It is based mostly on the writings of Anton LeVey, who is known to not even believe in an actual devil or satan. It is more of a philosophy if anything. Een at that, I have only met one other member of the church. Being a member only entails sending in 200 bucks and receiving in the mail a card. That's it! There are no rituals to speak of that groups participate in. LaVey spoke highly of envoking the power of ritual, but only as a psychological exercise, not as if there re really spooks and goblins, because La Vey did not believe in them.

In other words, the sosiety just made that shit up about the birthdays and satanists.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Blueblade: Thank you for the birthday wish, although mine is the middle of June, 58 years old. God, where did the time go??

In keeping with the WT's lunatic thinking, I would like to wish everyone "A Very Merry 'Un'-Birthday To You". (To me? To you. Who, me? Yes, you.)

Seeing that this is from Alice in Wonderland, I thought it appropriate. Alice is the only sane character in the story because all the rest of them are crackpots. We who have left the WT are sane and those who stay and defend the WT are nuts.

It's good to be sane again. I never really realized how much fun I was missing before I became sane again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit