CT Scan

by Princess Daisy Boo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I have to go for a CT scan - I saw the machine - it looks scary!!!

How long does the scan last? Do you just lie still while they take pics?

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Anyone???

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

You will be fine. I've had two of them. No pain.

• free2think
    free2think

I think it depneds what your having scanned. I've had lots of ct scans on my brain, and yes you have to lie very still, sometimes they inject a dye into your vein as a contrast so thing show up more. Its not that bad though. It's much quieter then an MRI scan.

• free2think
    free2think

It's really fine PDB, not scary at all. To be honest i tend to get bored while im in there and stqart daydream, which is when i start moving lol, but im usually in there for an hour or so. I know im a difficult paitent.

I hope its nothing serious.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

The worst part is the 6 inch long needle they'll "prick you with before the procedure. The actual scan is painless.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Princess, don't worry, its fast and always painless, also its an open equipment so no claustrophobia.I had it done twice. I hope you are alright sweetie. Maybe you are losing to much weight LOL

• Robert7
    Robert7

I did it once and it was nothing. I recall I had to get an IV (which doesn't bother me personally), but otherwise you don't feel anything. Just have to lie still...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I've had dozens. My first one frightened me but I believe that was more to the uncertainty of my disease.

Take a deep breath and don't get so far ahead of yourself. The scan is simple. You will be in the room by yourself after you are positioned on the table and into the 'tube'. The xray tech will step out of the room but can speak to you via intercom. The xray tech can also see you at all times. S/He (or a recording) will tell you to 'breathe deep' 'hold your breath' (and stay very VERY still) for about 10 seconds, then 'breathe'. This will be repeated several times.

Depending on what body part is being scanned, they may need to repeat the exact same scans after injection of iodine contrast into your arm.

Most of the newer scanning equipment is small enough that most of your body will be outside of the machine. If, however, you are highly claustrophic, I suppose you can ask your doctor for an anti-axiety pill.

If you are highly afraid of needles, I have found that scratching my midriff with my own fingernail during the insertion provides a good enough distraction.

The good thing about a CT Scan is that it will either rule out certain diseases or help your medical team identify what is ailing you. And the sooner you have a diagnosis, the sooner they can help make you better.

The unknown is usually more terrifying than reality.

Best wishes,

-Denise.

• yknot
    yknot

Depends on why you are getting a scan.

Mines was less then 6 minutes....harmless

.....just be still........

Don't forget to let us know if everything work

Sending...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest