Is Your Life THAT Much Better Off Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Witnesses love to say how "miserable" the "apostates" are when they

leave "The Truth".

How would you respond to this statement from your own personal experience??

• ninja
    ninja

the most miserable apostate is still miles better off than the happiest witness....copyright....da ninja

• Eh
    Eh

I assume that when they say that apostates are miserable they are talking about their classic idea of the person who "wants to do bad things" but still believes JW teachings. The people that supposedly rationalize their departure from The Truth by focusing on personal differences and petty organizational foibles that have nothing to do with their relationship with Jehovah. To that I'd agree. If there are people out there that fit the JW idea of apostates, then I'm sure they are a miserable lot. I mean, anyone who measures their lives against anything to do with JW's can't be THAT happy.

As for me and my family, we are a lot happier. Of course we are the ignostic/agnostic/atheist Zen Buddhist type. We aren't that interested in why the Witnesses are wrong and we don't care that our relatives are still in there. There's a pretty short list of people I'd actually want to de-convert.

I have some ex-JW friends who are overall more happy, but still have issues with JW stuff. Mostly their problems are with family that are still JW's that won't talk to them etc. So while the whole of their lives are better, the areas where their lives aren't so great have to do with people who are still Witnesses.

So I guess you could say that the JW's are succeeding to some degree in making other people's lives a little miserable, but on the whole they're just not that important.

Eh.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm a lot happier knowing that I'm not doing things in vain, for just no reason than for acceptance. The cult mentality is not missed at all!

With laughter!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I would say that many witnesses when they run into me think I should be sad and depressed because I've left "Jehovah".

To the contrary, when they ask me how I'm doing with their sad eyes I say great, life couldn't be better and I am enjoying every minute, so how are you?

Most don't know what to say....I can't even relate how happy I am, yes we all have a few ups and downs in life in day to day living but I have this new freedom

in the past 10 years I would not trade in for anything. And the last two days I was thinking about those "What Ifs" I can't wait till my new book gets here,

I NO LONGER FORFEIT MY LIFE TO "WHAT IFS".

cheers!

hope4others

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Yes, I would most definitely say it is.First of all, living a LIE, any type of lie, will create great stress.It affects everything.How you view yourself.How you view others, the world, life, goals, opportunities.All would be built upon a foundation of untruth.For example, if one believes the BIble, Rev 22:15 speaks of the future destruction of: "every one who is loving and is doing a lie." How would you like to have that hanging over you ? I don't go along with such a bible based conclusion, yet, it still doesn't change the fact that one has to live a lie.

Imagine the burden that is lifted when one can finally be true to themselves ! Unfortunately, some currently have little choice but to live a double life so that they don't lose their mate and children.Such ones have to put on a front that undoubtedly causes them much stress and they should not be faulted for doing the best they can.I personally do not consider such ones to be "liars" because they know what they believe and what they are working to accomplish (saving themselves and their family).But one who knows it's a lie and still chooses to stay for selfish reasons , is certainly guilty and responsible for supporting a bloodguilty organization.

On top of all this, of course, is the fact that it's a mind control CULT ! How many sacrifices have people had to make for the sake of the Org ? Children who don't have any choice in the matter are forced to give up their birthdays, holidays,hobbies,education, etc. and are made the subject of ridicule.Instead of being able to get much needed time on the weekend to enjoy themselves, sleep in, etc. they have to get up for meetings and go out in field circus ! These are years they will never get back.A time when they should just be allowed to be a kid ! But the Society puts so many burdens on people all under the guise of "works for salvation".Furthermore, the no blood policy potentially puts their life at stake, as well as the fact that the Society protects pedophiles, thus putting these children in further danger.IS one "better off" without the burden of the CULT ? I think the answer is clear.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Yes, much better. I used to live in constant fear and guilt when I was a witness. I had to watch what I said, who I talked to, I was concerned about being called into meetings and being grilled, scared of doing something that would stumble someone. I had nightmares of an Armaggedon that would destroy millions of people, a lot of them children and if I might survive because the entire explanation of it made little sense.

I wanted to be friends with whomever I wanted and had to talk to them in secret, I hated the cliques at the kingdom hall because they were self-righteous liars, I would see men elevated and women degraded and as a woman I had a true problem with being told I was "underneath a man" and created to be a man's slave. Suffering, yes I did.

But then I left and discovered this lovely world that I created on my own terms. Went to college, met friends, fell in love, married, traveled and for the first time in my life I felt free. No more nightmares of torment, no more guilt ideology popping in my head, no more of the rheotric, no more fear, and did I mention no more knocking on doors and "sermonizing" people.

I'm so happy I could do a break dance right now. Free at last, free at last, thank good all mighty, I am free at last!!!

• lnunya
    lnunya

Infinitely so.....the real topper here is that when I see JW's in public, the "happiest people on earth" are really sad, worn out and haggard. And they see no way out of their miserable condition.

• sspo
    sspo

Does it really matter once you find out that it was all a lie what you beleived.

It would be tough staying in and preaching a lie with a fake smile on your face.

Rather be out and have a clean conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit