Harry Potter and JWs?

by CatholicGuy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• cat1759
    cat1759

Good response to Fred Hall...lol..
    Life is suppose to magical and wonderful. Although with JW minds you are not suppose to enjoy life. If you do, you might not make it.
    We are only going to live once till we get to heaven. Make the most of it.
    cathy

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Celia,
    I saw the movie last night and it was great fun. I agree with your assessment exactly. Not quite as good as the books. Good triumphs over evil, and Harry makes wise choices in life. Sounds like a wonderful movie to me.

• AMAZINGEX
    AMAZINGEX

I've heard people (Christians) complain that the Harry Potter books are bad because of the magic and witches and that they are "so black". I've never heard anyone explain what they mean by "so black." I loved the books. Good always triumphs over evil. Actually, they remind me of the "Chronicles of Narnia" written by a very highly respected theologian, C. S. Lewis.

Any one know why they are said to be "so black?"

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well I can't get in to see it, even though it is showing on 5 screens at the multi-plex.

Her Ladyship got in yesterday...........for the 10.30am showing!

Englisshman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Both my boys, dressed as Harry Potter and Ron, as well as my husband and myself went to see the movie on opening day. Great fun!

I think Ron and Hermione (found out I have been saying her name WRONG all this time!) stole the show from Harry. Anyone agree?

_LisaBObeesa, who still can't say "Hermione"

• Kent
    Kent

Yeah, it seems so. Here is a few letters I have got forwarded to me:

I will do some more research on J.K. Rowling. I can't imagine she would write these books to expose children to satan. Who would? And why would so many people buy into it? Many people compare this the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I personally don't like fantasy story lines, and don't take this Harry Potter movement seriously, it is a fad just like beanie babies and whatever else has children in an uproar.

I listen to talk radio, and I suppose I really should just break down and read one of these books, so I can form my own opinion. I guess I will always see a movie, fiction book, and tv show as entertainment, and not The Word. I suppose I separate the two. I was brought up to do that....

------------------

What a WONDERFUL witness that was. Im so proud of
    your daughter and I dont even know her! My heart
    swells when I hear of our young ones making a stand
    like that. I can only imagine the smile of aproval
    that Jehovah expressed towards your daughter. And what
    a testimony to your efforts to train up your child in
    the way that is right for her.
    PLEASE express my appreciation to your daughter. It so important that they know how much we admire them.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    -----------------------
    I have heard so much on the Harry Potter movie this week. I was at the
    movies to watch Monsters Inc. and they showed the preview of Harry, and my
    skin crawled. My 11 year old daughter was scared. A few days ago a
    cousin,not in the Truth , asked if she would see the movie and she said no.
    When asked she showed her cousin Duet. 18; 9-14. Then asked her cousin if
    she understood why she wouldn't see it, her cousin said she understood fully
    and she asked her more about Jehovah. What a wonderful sight this was. As
    parents we need these reminders, it helped me to see that my kids love
    Jehovah and are making the truth their own. Just wanted to share.
    -------------------

With all due respect, I think you ought to check your
    source again. The author of Harry Potter, while
    professing christianity now, has a LONG history of
    occult involvement. And while she may write for
    entertainment, that is not a significant reason to
    expose kids to witchcraft, wizzardry, and the occult
    practices that she graphically portrays. IMHO. The entertainment value does not outweigh the underlying theme of acceptance of Satanic practices to my way of thinking. The theme of Harry Potter is that this scrawny, not particularly gifted or popular kid, who is an underdog in his family, mistreated and misaligned, is empowered by the forces of witchraft. Not for the purpose of dealing with his situation, but to change things to get his way. He is rewarded for bad behavior and given more power for doing things in the way perscribed at this school of witchcraft. The methods that are used at the school of Hogwarts are exactly the same as those used in satanic cults and wiccan initiation. And this is exposing children to something that appears harmless, will empower them against grown ups who wont give them thier way, and which has as its source of power Satan the devil. We are told both in our congregations and I would encourage you to view the Harry Potter issue in view of this verse. If its source is light why does in the pages of Gods Word not to be taken in by the subtle enticement of our enemy Satan, and that he is a PERSON. He is like a roaring lion seeking to devour.
    He is not a foe to be taken lightly. 2 Cor. 6:14 asks
    what fellowship light has with darkness....the two
    cannot exist in the same space. it encourage the
    children to call on the powers of darkness?
    -------------------------

Do you think the satan is speaking through the author? I read she is a
    devout Christian. She writes for entertainment. Where is the line between
    something evil and entertainment value? I have wondered that many times. Although my children are too young or old to like Harry Potter... if they wanted to see it, I would talk about how a movie.. any movie is to entertain
    you, no give you values. That's my job.

----------------

I am glad both my boys hate Harry Potter. They can't understand why everyone likes it. Of course at first my oldest (8yo) was probably just scared I would make him sit down and read the thick book, so he decided it was better to say he didn't like them. LOL It is hard to find books that interest him. I explained to him last night, that this is just one of the things Satan uses to get children interested in things like withcraft. I think he really understood this time that that can happen.

-----------------

I see a difference.
    In the Harry Potter books the kids are in wizzard
    school. The words to spells are hodge podgy, but the
    methods and indoctrination of students is what really
    occurs in neopaganist groups and wican groups.
    I think its a little beyond imagination and into
    witchcraft.
    At any rate, its teaching a fascination to the occult
    that Satan can manipulate and take advantage of.
    In ancient Isreal anyone who was into those things
    were stoned.
    Any one else?

--------------

I too am interested in finding out about if the society O.K's Harry Potter books and the movie. I personally think it looks good and the books sound very interesting but should I let the kids read and watch them. Does anyone know the society's advice on this subject?
    ----------------

I have wondered the same thing. None of my children are at an age where they would find Harry Potter interesting, but I don't see the difference between this and B*Witched... Does anyone remember that show? It was all make believe.
    ------------------

I never received the other post. About Harry Potter, I don't know
    exactly what it is all about but about a year ago Iwas on another hs group and they were talking about all the witchcraft in it, etc. I based my opinion on that. My youngest is not interested in books like that but my oldest would probably like them. She loves goosebumps and mysteries.
    I am not sure what the difference is between...let's say....Hocus Pocus movie or Harry Potter. I allow the girls to watch Hocus Pocus and I myslef like it. I think it is really cute!! They think it is all make believe. They know that there are "witches", but that they don't fly on broomsticks etc. Should I not allow the girls to watch anything with witches in it or even magic? That rules out almost all of the disney cartoons. Does anyone here know EXACTLY what Harry Potter is about? I figure I wouldn't let my dds read or watch it, just because alot of people say it is not appropriate. Synthia, my oldest, just kinda rolls her eyes up in her head whenever she hears hype about the books. I don't know why she does that, but she may be acting on hearing me say that I didn't see what all the fuss was about. XXXXXXXXX, my youngest, is NOT at all interested.

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

an article from my local paper on harry potter, seems he freaks more than just the jws out....

. http://startribune.com/stories/462/839046.html

Minnesota clergy denounce Harry Potter
    Published Nov 19 2001

Evangelical, conservative and even some moderate Christian ministers and religious leaders in St. Cloud, Minn., have denounced the Harry Potter phenomenon as satanic.

Some fundamentalist Christians in St. Cloud and throughout the country say Harry Potter teaches children to use profanity and to blaspheme God. They said the children's books and film mock fundamental Christians, teach that moderate drinking is acceptable, and teach that there is "good" witchcraft.

Several St. Cloud-area ministers have been watching and passing around the documentary videotape "Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged," which claims that the tales lead kids to the occult and that the Harry Potter phenomenon is incompatible with Christianity.

"I believe this is more than a fantasy," said the Rev. Dan Larson, senior pastor at Good News Assembly of God in St. Cloud. "It's not just harmless entertainment. Specifically the Harry Porter books include things like human sacrifice, the possession of demon spirits and the sucking of human blood."

-- Associated Press

• Moxy
    Moxy

we've had our own local fundies out workin the crowds:

http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/arts/movies/story.html?f=/stories/20011119/793747.html

Peterborough mayor denies link to Potter hate mail
    'It's complete forgery'

Peterborough Examiner

PETERBOROUGH, ONT. - As the Harry Potter movie premiered Friday night, dark forces were about -- but this time Lord Voldemort was not to blame.

As moviegoers packed into local Galaxy Cinemas for the first peek at Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, letters attributed to Sylvia Sutherland, the Mayor of Peterborough, were being distributed, warning of the "satanic" and "evil" elements in the film.

"It's complete forgery," Sutherland said.

"It's absolutely ridiculous."

She said she was informed of the letters on Saturday morning by Royal Bank employee Ted Hunter, who came across one of the letters while strolling through Peterborough Square.

Hunter spoke to cleaning staffers who said they had been throwing the letters out all morning. He then contacted the mayor.

"I immediately felt that it obviously wasn't Sylvia," he said.

The two-page letter features a photo of Sutherland next to the title: A Message from the Mayor of Peterborough.

Greeting moviegoers, the letter then describes "dangerous implications" of the film, which has the power to "lure children to Satan." The letter charges that more than 14 million children belong to the Church of Satan, "thanks largely to the unassuming boy wizard from 4 Privet Drive."

The author then gives examples of children who have turned on God in favour of the dark arts, thanks to Potter's influence.

Galaxy Cinemas general manager Bill Whelan said it appeared the letters were distributed Friday night throughout the mall and parking lot.

After watching the film, many audience members found the letters, enclosed in a white envelope with the movie's title and a symbol of the cinema, on their windshields.

"Everyone has a right to their opinion, but they should have the courage to say from their own mouth and not implicate someone else," Whelan said.

Sutherland said she's a big fan of the Harry Potter series and was looking forward to seeing the movie after listening to her grandchildren rave about the books.

While the actual author of the letter is still unknown, Sutherland said if the person is identified she would consider pressing charges.

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit