Harry Potter and JWs?

by CatholicGuy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

What's the JW line on Harry Potter? Or, is there one?

I took my kiddies last night to see it. I knew if I didn't take them on the first day of its release I'd be turned in as a deliquent parent! It was a great movie! Seriously, I think all the anti-Potter hysteria is a bunch of bunk. There's enought magic and mysticism in other great classics, like the Wizard of Oz, Snow White, and Star Wars. A very balanced Christian view of the Harry Potter books, IMO:

http://www.geocities.com/amywelborn/harrypotter/article.html

CatholicGuy

not my webpage but a favorite:
    http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Harry Potter sucks!

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Sigh..Fred, isn't there a scripture in your own bible that tells ya that a person replying to a matter before he's heard of it is a fool? (or somethin' like that) Have you actually read the books or seen the movie?? If not, I would imagine you have no idea what you're talking about.

Catholic guy, I took my kids to see it yesterday too and we all really enjoyed it. Of course the JWs find something wrong with it; I think it's their mission in life to find any little spark of joy or fun and stamp it out quickly! LOLOL

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

What the heck is a hairy potter?

• hedPE
    hedPE

and i guess a line from the french&saunders version of the classic film 'the exorcist' applies to fred - 'your mother sucks jelly babies in hell' ...

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    What the heck is a hairy potter?

Er...my kinda artist?

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• gumby
    gumby

Witnesess are not the only ones who do not like harry potter. There was just a show on that showed a relegios group cutting up the Harry Potter books.
    I suppose if it lead kids into a intrest in witchcraft or sorcery it would not be good for a christian. But do kids think about witches and ghosts the day after holloween. I never did.

• gumby
    gumby

Anyone here no how to spell religios? religious? Thats the one!!!!

• ISP
    ISP

Haha! Took the kids today! Besides the magic stuff...Harry also had a birthday....and Christmas. So the WTS would hardly approve!

ISP

• Celia
    Celia

I took mys son and my hubby to see the movie last night.
    We all read the four books, and were a little disappointed.
    It was ok, but every scene was "cut short" somehow...
    Still, I love Harry Potter.
    I don't understand why anyone would find the story "bad" for kids.
    On the contrary, it's all about friendships, getting along, make the right choices, helping....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit