Watchtower Comments THE GENERATION CHANGE Featuring LEOLAIA

by V 221 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Post 403

Alas I cannot help you in your search for the identity of the 'celebrated WT scholars even they have been present for many decades even centuries. I disagree with you about the latest clarification of the 'generation' of Mattew 24:34. Indeed the 'celebrated WT scholars have over the last few years researched this subject very thoroughly and now at long last we have now this enhanced understanding of matters. All peoples including those lost to Christendom can greatly benefit from this fine spiritual food. Even apostates have been seen feeding on this food as they receive nothing from the evil-slave class.

scholar JW

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The WTS has an excellent child protection policy, and child abuse is not rampant as the sensationalist opposer's and apostates would have believe.

Lol, THAT'S a joke...regardless of current sexual abuse cases, kids are treated as 'inconvenient' in the Kingdom Hall. We've all seen mothers drag toddlers to the bathroom to give them a spanking (for not being invisible enough), but have you noticed these same kids cry on way to bathroom...as they know what's coming to them...like Pavlov's puppies.

• fresia
    fresia
    pseudo-scholar moaned: There are no semantics involve with the meaning of parousia that support your theory for our publications have always implied that 'presence' does indeed include an arrival for coming this is the first stage of a presence or 'beong present.

Then what are you BITCHING about??? I guess I'll be the first one to lose it on this thread, but scholar: you're an asshole of the first order and are clearly attempting to give the impression that you somehow have a doctorate in the Greek language and actually know what you're talking about. Here's a newsflash for you: The Writing Department does not get to determine what the word "parousia" means, as much as I'm sure they'd like to. That my friend, is and always has been determined by linguists and true scholars with no ulterior motive or pre-conceived doctrines that fly in the face of common sense. The Greek word 'parousia' means: presense, coming, arrival, advent.

Your continual bashing of Leolaia's excellent and thorough review is utterly nauseating and you're making a fool out of yourself with each of your tirades. In true Witness fashion, you attack anything that goes against what the Craptower teaches and even though she has clearly shown that the WTS has been less than truthful about their bizarre interpretation of the entire doctrine of the Second Coming of Christ, you continue to strain the gnat (whether the word 'parousia' is referring to presense or the arrival of someone) and swallow the camel (the bizarre doctrine that Jesus' Return would be in secret, would be invisible, and go completely unnoticed by the world, even though the scriptures say the complete opposite) which is exactly what the Pharisees did on matters of doctrine.

One must have arrived or came in order then to be present. But that is not what parousia means , it refers not to coming or arrival but to the complete state of being present.

No, it does not and you're attempting to twist the interpretation into your pre-conceived notion that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914, so cut the crap. According to Greek scholars, the word "parousia" can mean presence, but it most certainly does not imply an invisible presence unless of course you've invested decades of your life buying into the WTS's nonsensical absurdities, which apparently you have and still do. Here's an example that you should perhaps consider: the coming of Titus (2 Cor. 7:6,7); the coming of Stephanas (I Cor. 16:17); and the coming of Paul (Phil. 1:26) involved the coming or arrival of these people along with their personal presence. In addition, the arrival and "bodily presence" of Paul described in 2 Corinthians10:10 is obviously what the scripture implies: a literal visible presence. There is absolutely no place in the bible that even hints that Jesus' return would be either in 1914 or invisible. It clearly states the opposite when it says in Matthew 24: "Every eye will see him."

Now before you go off on a tangent about it meaning "with the eye of understanding", try thinking about what you're saying. This scripture does not say that only a certain group of people will understand that he 'returned invisibly' (which is really no 'return' at all), it clearly says "Every eye will see him" end of story. In fact, at that time, the Bible Students/Witnesses didn't even believe Jesus 'returned' in 1914----they believed He had returned in 1874 or 1878, so how exactly did they 'see him return in 1914 with the 'eye of understanding'??? Ya.....maybe that's a question you should chew on for a while.

Not only that, but Jesus warned against false prophets who would teach an "invisible return". He said: "If they shall say unto you, Look, he is in . . . the secret chambers; do not believe it. For as the lightning comes out of the east, and shines even to the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." (Matt. 24:26,27). This verse clearly shows that the WT's ridiculous promotion of an 'invisible presense' that supposedly began in 1914 (i.e., he's in the secret chambers) falls under the category of a false doctrine taught by "false prophets". Lightening is not "invisible" seen only by a chosen few. It's see by everyone in the area, it comes suddenly and forcefully. I remember asking this question once at the Bookstudy and everyone's face nearly fell off when I said "everyone can see lightning, so how can His Return be 'invisible?' I never got an answer and the conductor quickly moved on.

In addition, the scripture in Zechariah 14:3-4 says that Jesus will return literally and visibly to the earth.

"...Then the LORD will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights in the day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south...."

Hmmmm......gee, that doesn't sound like an 'invisible presence' to me.

And finally, the scripture in Acts 1: 9-11 says:

"...After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven..."

How did his disciples see Jesus leave? Was it with 'the eye of understanding? Was it an 'invisible departure'?? No---they saw him leave with their literal eyes and it was a visible departure. Gosh! Imagine that!! He only disappeared from their view when he reached the heavens itself. Verse 11 is quite clear that His return would be visible, just as His departure was.

Scholar, you clearly are no real scholar, because the first thing you learn when you attend university, is that you have to approach a subject with no pre-conceived idea. You have to start with a blank sheet, examine the evidence and build your conclusion on evidence, logic and available material. You have clearly done none of these things, so I highly doubt you've ever stepped foot in a university. The Watchtower's doctrine that the Second Coming of Christ refers to a secret, invisible event that happened in 1914, is without any basis either in the scriptures or anywhere else. Of course, we all know why the Society is still desperately promoting this farce: because without it, they lose the even more ludicrous doctrine that Jesus chose them as the "faithful and discreet slave" in 1919----another bizarre doctrine that they plucked out of thin air without any evidence whatsoever, except their very vivid imaginiations.

Your attack on Leolaia is really another pathetic joke and completely without merit as is your splitting hairs about the Greek word 'parousia'. She has shown you over and over again that reference works done by real scholars most certainly allows for the word to be used as "coming" or "arrival" or "advent" in addition to "presense". Your grasping of straws and moaning about how it really must mean "presence" and not "coming" is like someone telling their kids "I'll be coming over to your place on Saturday" and have one of the kids debate endlessly whether he meant he would arrive "invisibly" (which is no arrival at all), or whether he would be literally there. It's truely pathetic and only in Dumb-dumb Land is such a farce and "endless debate over words" carried on with such fanaticism.

Truly pathetic and the only person here that you're kidding is yourself (and apparently 'Fresia'---another drone from the Borg). Get your head out of your ass and try using your brain for a change, instead of just automatically accepting the crap churned out from Columbia Heights.

I never bashed Leolia's post I only read a couple of pages of the long-winded drawn out load of moan and drizzle. Now you made me say that.

I really don't give a flying fig whether you think I'm a pathetic person, or any other insult you'd like to spew on the page.

Who said I believe the GB, you did. I don't worship the GB or the WTS I worship Jehovah. If you read my first post properly you would have noticed why I stay, because the teachings of Who God is and Who Jesus is and the Kingdom hope that hasn't changed.

You choose to leave thats you business. I couldn't care less.

You're insecurities shine through Mary.

The one thing I hate the most about opposer's or apostates is that they have to lie and dig deep for anything they can twist to suit and try and stumble and prove a valid reason for their obsessive hatred JW and the WTS.

• boyzone
    boyzone
    The notion of invisibility is proven by the fact that His disciples asked for a Sign of the Parousia so this would not have been necessary if a visible presence was meant.

You have made a fundamental error here Scholar. Even the Society admit that the disciples were not considering an invisible presence when they asked the question at Matt 24 v 3.

"They wanted to be sure they recognized him then. But not yet having received holy spirit, they did not appreciate that he would not sit on an earthly throne; they had no idea that he would rule as a glorious spirit from the heavens and therefore did not know that his second presence would be invisible." WT 64 9/15 QFR

If this is the case, then the context of Matt 24 leads us to ask why were the disciples asking for a sign if they thought Jesus was going to be visible? They'd be able to literally see him, no need for a sign.

But if they were asking "what would be the sign of your COMING, (ARRIVAL, ADVENT)?" Then you can see the need for a sign.

Jesus then gives the sign at Matt 24 v 30

• Mary
    Mary
    fresia said: I never bashed Leolia's post I only read a couple of pages of the long-winded drawn out load of moan and drizzle. Now you made me say that.

fresia, the quote you highlighted was what I had directed at scholar, not you.

Who said I believe the GB, you did. I don't worship the GB or the WTS I worship Jehovah.

Worship of Jehovah is only allowed in the manner of which the Governing Body dictates. That's the sad thing about this religion: your salvation depends on how closely you obey the Governing Body members no matter how crazy their interpretations are.

If you read my first post properly you would have noticed why I stay, because the teachings of Who God is and Who Jesus is and the Kingdom hope that hasn't changed.

Um, so what? The Catholic Church has taught the Trinity doctrine for 1700 years. Does that mean it's correct, simply because it "hasn't changed"? Here's something for you to think about fresia: The Witnesses do not teach a trinity, they teach that the Father (Jehovah) is a completely seperate person from the Son (Jesus). This is one of the few teachings they have that I still believe, simply because the doctrine of the Trinity makes no sense to me. However, this does not excuse them for all the other false doctrines that they do teach. Getting one thing right does not mean they are the Chosen Ones, especially if they're getting 50 other doctrines wrong.

The one thing I hate the most about opposer's or apostates is that they have to lie and dig deep for anything they can twist to suit and try and stumble and prove a valid reason for their obsessive hatred JW and the WTS.

Like I said, the quote you highlighted was directed at scholar, not you, so you may want to re-think your response to me. I told no lies, I did not "dig deep" or "twist" anything. Nor do the majority of people on this board hate the Witnesses themselves. Many of us still have family and friends in the religion and no, we do not hate them. I can't speak for everyone, but the main problem I have is with the Governing Body themselves, as they are the ones who hold the whip over 6.5 million heads, demanding obedience in all things.

If you're happy in the religion fresia, then that's wonderful. I can't help but wonder though, why you're disobeying a direct order from the Governing Body members by visiting an "apostate" website.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What I particularly enjoy about Leolaia's studies is that she consistently and persistently relies on primary and secondary source documents. She shows how the word was used by contemporaries.

By comparison, "scholar" relies on tertiary and quaternary sources, that is, modern interpretation and the writings of other scholars. There is nothing original in that, and his sources, by their nature, are not accurate or reliable.

Who would you most likely believe; a participant in an event, the witnesses, or commentaries on the story thousands of years after the event?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_source

• Mary
    Mary
    scholar repeated yet again: The proper or only correct rendering of parousiain Matthew 24:3 is ;presence' because that is what the word means and is the only meaning consistent with that entire chapter.

No, it is not and there is no evidence anywhere to suggest that the word "presence" is the only "correct rendering" of Matthew 24. This is a fantasy dreamed up by the boys at Bethel to try and justify their bizarre interpretation of the scripture. You don't have a leg to stand on with this scholar.

Coming or arrival would not work because Matthew late describes the Parousia as a period of time as in the Days of Noah right up to the Flood.

scholar, scholar, scholar......maybe you should try READING what Matthew 24 actually says. Verse 3, the disciples ask him what sign would he give that he's about to return. Verses 4 - 29 describe the signs leading up to his Return. Not the other way around. There is nothing written from verses 3 - 29 that indicates Jesus returns FIRST and then all these things happen---it just isn't there. Verse 30 tells us that after these things occur, "....the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory...."

Here's something else for you to ponder: Which came first: The days BEFORE the Flood or the Flood itself?? Verses 36 - 39 clearly says: "....As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man...."

The "days of Noah" were the days leading up to the Flood. The Flood didn't come first. The events that Jesus described: the wars, famines, disease, etc. are the events leading up to His Return, not the other way around. This is what the scriptures say and only someone with the pre-conceived idea that this event happened invisibly in 1914 would say otherwise. Get it?

Jesus when describing his presence was likening it to lightning from the EAST to the WEST such would be the comprehensiveness of the presence diccerned only by his disciples because of its invisibility and that it be beyond the statements of false prophets.

This last quote of yours doesn't make any sense either scripturally or logically but I guess that doesn't come as any great surprise. Scholar, you're a brainwashed fool as you've so clearly demonstrated here. You've got absolutely no basis for any of your wild theories and your attempt at looking like a "scholar" has failed miserably. How sad that your reasoning skills have been suppressed this way and that you'll go to your grave waiting for Armageddon to wipe out 99.9% of the population with "The End" always being "right around the corner".

• Lex Talionis
    Lex Talionis

Mary,

Scholar JW is by no means a sagacious scholar.

I have asked him the most simplest of questions and he tucked tail and ran.

Our little self proclaimed ANZAC scholar(sic) is not what he purports to be and I intend to flush that wiley fox out.

• V
    V

Video now available. Check out the original post on this topic or click here to view: Watchtower Comments - The Generation

And yes I'm a bit gleeful about the activity on this thread...thanks to celebrated scholars churning this thread into a froth.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    So when we see the twigs and leaves starting to sprout, does that mean that summer arrived months earlier?? No, it means that summer is NEAR, not that it is here. So when we "see all these things", does it mean that Jesus arrived decades ago (and invisibly to boot?) No----it means that His Coming is near. Hmmmm......funny, but that's exactly what the scripture says as well. Only at Crooklyn can they take something that's fairly easy to understand and twist it into something completely unrecognizable.

Mary, this was something I had to mull over myself. I always associated the "presence" as Jesus return to earth - and I believe most JW's do also. Yet to my surprise I found this article in the Proclaimers book:

***jvchap.10p.137GrowinginAccurateKnowledgeoftheTruth***As the events following 1914 began to unfold and the Bible Students compared these with what the Master had foretold, they gradually came to appreciate that they were living in the last days of the old system and that they had been since 1914. They also came to understand that it was in the year 1914 that Christ’s invisible presence had begun and that this was, not by his personally returning (even invisibly) to the vicinity of the earth, but by his directing his attention toward the earth as ruling King.They saw and accepted the vital responsibility that was theirs to proclaim "this good news of the kingdom" for a witness to all nations during this critical time of human history.—Matt. 24:3-14.

So what the heck is going on here? Jesus hasnt returned to Earth?? Are you sure?? According to this the WTS agrees with you, The signs of the Last Days are signs (or indicators) of Jesus coming in the clouds as a sign in the near future - the same way summer quickly follows the budding of the fig tree.

Yet just a few pages back in the Proclaimers book this paragraph is found:

*** jv chap. 10 p. 133 Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth ***Within just a few years, on the basis of further study of the Scriptures, Russell realized that Christ would not only return invisibly but also remain invisible, even when manifesting his presence by judgment upon the wicked.

So here is the problem: the signs of the "last days" are signs of Jesus "presence" - yet Jesus is not on Earth, his presence is felt on Earth but in fact He is not here and has not returned. He is in heaven and "has turned his attention to the Earth" (this is not found in this bible passage - as Leolaia would say - Eisegesis Alert!)

Yes, Jesus coming as a sign is future - but this sign that "all the tribes of the earth" are to see and "beat themselves" over is - according to the above quote is -
    ALSO INVISIBLE !!!!

SO NOW WHAT?? Jesus presence is invisible AND his "MANIFESTING HIS PRESENCE" is invisible when he Judges mankind?
    But what was the point of this entire discussion? Was it not Jesus coming as a sign? How is it we are now talking about his invisible presence?
    It almost seems that His coming in the clouds has been forgotten about - not even relevant, after all - His presence has done everthing already so now he doesnt need to return! Right??

These guys dont know what they believe. This was stuck in this book as a "scape goat" so the WTS can say that one day the WTS can say that Jesus has returned and is judging and look, we always beleived this all along - look we said this years ago - werent you paying attention? You need to study more and go to more meetings!

UUUGGHHH!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit