Watchtower Comments THE GENERATION CHANGE Featuring LEOLAIA

by V 221 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, fresia. You are the one who challenged leolaia's originality. I have been reading her works for over four years now, and I have found all of them to be thorough, articulate, and well-reasoned. She has told the truth.

There are morals classes at college too, you know. One can study and be moral at the same time. I've learned much about morality from the writings from such great thinkers as Schweitzer, Frankl, and Dostoevsky.

I would challenge also the fruitage of the Watchtower society. I see the sad eyes of the mothers and grandmothers, who suffer from broken relationships with their own children. And the only barrier between them is the shifting sands of doctrine. Notice the back row at the Kingdom hall, populated by the shunned. Silently they enter, quietly they leave. I've visited with the lonely widow who was brushed aside by a busy Ministerial Servant.

Just because the magazine declares that Jehovah's people are the "happiest on earth" does not make it so. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

• boyzone
    boyzone

HI Fresia

My point is that I look at the fruitage, and indeed JW do display what Jesus said was the identifying mark of a true Christian.

But only as far as the Society allow them to show that love. The vast majority of JW's are lovely people, friendly helpful, sociable etc, they try and live moral lives (but like everyone else, fail sometimes) Would you agree that when it comes to obeying a ruling from the Society, the lovely people seem to disappear replaced by people who HAVE to be seen to be obedient?

For example I had been a member of my congregation for 21 years when I left 1 year ago. I know personally all the witnesses in my area and counted them as very good friends. I regularly see them and give them a smile. I know in their heart of hearts they are very loving people, yet these same people are told to suppress their own natural friendliness and love and ignore me as if I'm dead. And they do.

Why? Because the Society has decreed that because I no longer want to be a witness, I am to be shunned. I am still a christian, I still am happily married, I take care of my aged parents and my young family, I work hard, I don't swear, smoke or drink (to excess) Yet I am to be treated with contempt.

So Yes up to a point I can agree, the witnesses do display the fruitage of love, but if a society rule conflicts with showing that love, the rule comes first every time. Would you agree that this is true?

I can't help but recall Jesus words at Matt 9 v 13 "I want mercy and not sacrifice"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I love it when you skite how intelligent you are, and you sit on your throne and look down on those that don't have a PhD or a better education.

In case it is not clear, I want to clarify that this is not my attitude at all. Although others have mentioned my education, I wish not to emphasize it and would rather have the evidence presented be the topic of discussion. I wish it not devolve into an "argument from authority," as I am no better authority than many others more learned than me. Although some may have their own inclinations, any amateur with a good background in critical thinking can delve quite deeply into the literature with some study and experience. And as I've said before in the past, although I have university education in classics (Greek and Latin), history, and in linguistics, biblical criticism is for me is largely self-taught.

• fresia
    fresia
    In case it is not clear, I want to clarify that this is not my attitude at all. Although others have mentioned my education, I wish not to emphasize it and would rather have the evidence presented be the topic of discussion. I wish it not devolve into an "argument from authority," as I am no better authority than many others more learned than me. Although some may have their own inclinations, any amateur with a good background in critical thinking can delve quite deeply into the literature with some study and experience. And as I've said before in the past, although I have university education in classics (Greek and Latin), history, and in linguistics, biblical criticism is for me is largely self-taught.

OK I apologise for being offensive. But with all your knowledge, did you bring to the plate a completely unbias meal.

• fresia
    fresia

boyzone said..

So Yes up to a point I can agree, the witnesses do display the fruitage of love, but if a society rule conflicts with showing that love, the rule comes first every time. Would you agree that this is true?

I have never seen a religious group as large as JW that get along in peace, shore they have personality clashes and others are not as loving as they should be. But go to a convention and see them all together in unity, all the different nationalities, clean and obedient and united.

that speaks volumes to me.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Fresia, have you ever obsevered the Mormons? They are 2.5 times the size of the Witness, and are growing faster as well. You clearly have a skewed view of world religions and the goings on.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"I have never seen a religious group as large as JW that get along in peace, shore they have personality clashes and others are not as loving as they should be. But go to a convention and see them all together in unity, all the different nationalities, clean and obedient and united.

that speaks volumes to me."

Fresia,
    Its all orchestrated though. They even have to have a pre assembly study to remind people how they should be seen to act in various circumstances.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Fresia

With all due respect you failed to answer my question. I asked;

I would be interested to hear your view on this - thanks.

• Mary
    Mary
    fresia said: I love it when you skite how intelligent you are, and you sit on your throne and look down on those that don't have a PhD or a better education. But you know that really doesn't give you a ticket in truth now does it.

I did not say I had a PhD---because I don't. I'm about half way through my Bachelor's degree, nor do I have "a throne". I made this comment because of the snide remark you made insinuating that Leolaia was doing a "cut and paste".

But in all honest I will tell you, I do have my misgivings about the WTS and the GB.

Ah......first intelligent thing I've seen you post. What are your misgivings about them?

But what I can't get past and let go is the b/s all the decent qualities that they have, and as a group they do try and live Christian life's based on the principles of Christs teaching. And thats no to say no one here doesn't. My point is that I look at the fruitage, and indeed JW do display what Jesus said was the identifying mark of a true Christian.

Actually, they don't. I understand what you're saying and on the surface it does appear as though they have "love amongst themselves" to a much greater degree than other religions, but if you look closer, you'll see they actually don't. The love that you see displayed between family and friends at the Hall is all "conditional love". In other words, the love shown to you is based on how loyal you are to the religion itself. There are countless families that have been torn apart and destroyed by the Governing Body's enforcement of disfellowshipping. If someone openly disagrees with a doctrine (no matter how screwed up it is), they can be disfellowshipped and family members and life long friends are ordered to have absolutely no contact with them and are to treat them as being "dead". The sole exception for this is that if the DF'd person is living under the same roof as you---then you're allowed to still talk with them. But for grandparents who have DF'd grandchildren, or vise-versa, you're to show allegience to the Organization rather than your family. Truly, one of the most dispicable practices that the WTS has, and it is certainly not Christ-like.

I guess Jehovah sees the big picture, and in the meantime I wait and hope for my answer.

You won't get an answer waiting for the Governing Body to change. They have a history of false date-setting, of prophecying things that never transpire and they have flip flopped on countless doctrines, many which have been to the detriment of the flock. Witnesses have been told not to get married, have children, pay into company pension plans, or even get a decent education. For a while in the 1960s, beastiality was not considered "adultery" and incredibly, was not "grounds for divorce". If you have an old Aid to Bible Understanding, you should take a look under "adultery" or "beastiality" and see for yourself what it says. There was a sister in Toronto years ago who divorced her husband when he found out he was getting the family dog to perform oral sex on him. Since the WTS's bizarre view at the time was that this did not constitute "adultery", she actually got disfellowshipped herself, and lost all her family and friends. It was too much for her and she committed suicide. Then a few years later, the WTS changed their minds and decided that beastiality was adultery after all.

You really believe that Jehovah or the Holy Spirit would "guide" these men to make such disatrous choices???

Fresia, I would strongly recommend that you order a copy of Crisis of Conscience and read for yourself what goes on behind closed doors at Brooklyn. It just might open your eyes.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

What a good thread. I love Leo AND Mary. Thank you both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit