Why did Death not stop as soon as the RANSOM was paid?

by jwfacts 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Terry's recent thread about God's love made me start wondering the above question. Normally a Ransom is done as a swap, the payment is made on exchange.

2000 years ago Jesus made payment by dieing. God's apparent sense of justice was fulfilled by this act. So why did Jehovah not apply that payment 2000 years ago and end human misery and suffering?

A JW answer is that we still needed time to prove that we can not rule ourselves. I find that pretty shallow, but regardless, why not send Jesus after he was satisfied that all other criteria had be met?

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Terry's recent thread about God's love made me start wondering the above question.

How could the "God of Love" possibly get his rocks off if he did not have 6 plus BILLION people to KILL...he could not possibly been upstaged by the likes of Hitler Stalin and Pol Pot.,..

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Maybe his purpose in living and dying had nothing to do with paying a ransom. Universalists, of which there are many among Christians, do not believe Jesus' death paid a ransom. And if you believe he did pay a ransom, why of course you would not have been born had death stopped then. Genetic lines would have taken a different course.

I prefer to think he came to show us his love through example. How so? By standing up to religious hypocrites and showing us what he will do when humans finally render the earth useless. He hung with the poorest, most rejected realm of society and he ministered to them. This is the Jesus that I have always admired and loved, no matter how agnostic I have felt at different times. He is a peacemaker and preacher. He also talks down hypocrisy. More power to him.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    I prefer to think he came to show us his love through example.

AND then killing 6 billion people...

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I'd say Jesus only covered the principal and the interest is still due. Can you believe that we believed all that hogwash? Hell - I even thought it made perfect sense.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Universalists, of which there are many among Christians, do not believe Jesus' death paid a ransom.

FlyingHigh, interesting observance. There really are different issues depending on what Christian religion you belong to. Normal Christians do believe there is already benefit, as since Jesus death people that die have been instantly resurrected to heaven. So once again, the Watchtower belief is more illogical than most.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Wonderful question.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I prefer to think he came to show us his love through example.
    AND then killing 6 billion people...

According to whom? The governing body. I don't think he kills anyone. I think he holds out hope for everyone, human, angel, animal...there's hope for us all. My Jesus' love and power is not limited by human prejudice or ethics.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

A very interesting question - one that makes my mind boggle.

But I must say that I share FHN's perspective on God and his love. You put that beautifully.

• gymbob
    gymbob

You can have whatever perspective you want, but it's still based on nothing but NOTHING....feelings....thoughts....wonders and HOPES!

Ancient Jewish writings are not something to base your LIFE on. Bye!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit