How to get WT Comments videos back up (with Knocking section)

by Burger Time 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wasn't the communication from the producer of the KNOCKING film, or someone similar? Is it at all possible for V to respond to the message by explaining that the brief clip was used with the good-faith assumption that such use was permissible as "fair use" (considering the brief length, use in illustrating the purpose of the video as commentary, and non-commercial use), and if it has turned out not to be the case, could he still make a request for permission to use the clip (with an acknowledgement indicated on the page for each video)? I understand that granting permission may be unlikely, but when is it too late to ask?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I think the biggest issue is just the inconvenience of having to re do everything on the traffic side of this. Obviously if no one was visiting it wouldn't be a big deal to just edit and make a new video. As far as the fair use I was thinking that could be an avenue too....I don't think there is a statute for asking, just depends on the producers mood at the time ya know?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Got a reply back last night......

Here is a message we sent to the producer who used our footage in his YouTube videos:

We prefer that you not use any footage from KNOCKING in your videos. This is our policy for anyone who uses our footage without permission. We have sent "cease and desist" letters to both JWs and non-JWs alike. The principle is about protecting the work of independent filmmakers and public television, which has to survive in a commercial media landscape overpowered by corporate giants. We hope you understand. We also hope you will respect our hard work and not take pieces of it to illustrate your own videos. Our footage was shot at great effort and expense. Whether you like KNOCKING or not, it should be respected as one attempt among hopefully many to tell the complex story of Jehovah's Witnesses. Rather than take our footage, we encourage you and others to shoot your own footage and tell your own stories. The more documentaries that exist on a given subject the better. This is what makes outlets like YouTube so great. Anyone can be a filmmaker. Just please use your own work. The KNOCKING footage is copyright protected and we will ask YouTube to remove it if it continues to be posted.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think that the other 99% of the video that V has put out is much more important that pissing on about 3 seconds of video that he doesn't own. Those videos have been very educational and it's important that they be up and running again.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Yea looks like it might be easier to just replace the Youtube videos and deal with the traffic issues.

• DT
    DT

Burger Time,

Thank you for posting that response. I would consider that to be confirmation that they issued the threats. Obviously, they prefer that nobody use their footage without permission. The problem is that there are other rights involved. The public has a right to debate and the law recognises that this may include the use of small, fair use pieces of copyrighted works. They didn't comment on fair use in their response. It appears their position is that fair use doesn't apply in their case. I don't believe that position can be defended either morally or legally. Furthermore, they are documentary film makers. I would be very surprised if they never made fair use of copyrighted works. It's also ironic that there are allegations that they used footage of individuals without their permission.

It should also be pointed out that they shot that footage with the permission of the Watchtower Society. How likely is it that the Watchtower Society would give apostates permission to shoot similar footage in a kingdom hall? It's very biased to produce a proJW piece that omits important facts while denying critics the right to debate the issues in a reasonable manner.

I think their legal position is week, even if they have the power to force this issue in a practical way. Morally, I think their position is indefensible.

• sf
    sf

Would pictures I capture on my cellphone be considered mine, by copyright?

I mean, sitting behind someone at a kingdumb hellhole and snapping my camera phone as a "sister" raises her hand. Then submitting it to youtube...is that photo mine, by copyright?

What about standing outside a kh and snapping from my phone, jws walking in or out of neetings? What CAN they do about THAT?

Fact is, you can't stop the momentum of the powerful information highway we now know as the internet.

But keep trying TED!

sKally

• DT
    DT

Would pictures I capture on my cellphone be considered mine, by copyright?

I think you would have the copyright. The problem is that that are other laws that might prevent you from using it. You would probably need the permission of the people in the photograph and the property owner. Youtube also has it's own policies about this.

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Wasn't the communication from the producer of the KNOCKING film, or someone similar? Is it at all possible for V to respond to the message by explaining that the brief clip was used with the good-faith assumption that such use was permissible as "fair use" (considering the brief length, use in illustrating the purpose of the video as commentary, and non-commercial use), and if it has turned out not to be the case, could he still make a request for permission to use the clip (with an acknowledgement indicated on the page for each video)? I understand that granting permission may be unlikely, but when is it too late to ask?

I honestly think this is your best bet. If you want to not go through the trouble of having ro re record everything, just try this approach, and see if it works. It may not work, but it may...

• bite me
    bite me

The cell phone idea isn't a bad one. IF you get them from the back with just hands going up.. no way in knowing who's hand it who's ....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit