Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT stupid!

by nicolaou 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Thanks nicolaou. You let me know that I hit the right nerve. Thankfully I never was that bad but you let me know how bad it could have been if I did not get out.

Joseph

• shamus100
    shamus100

I agree with you that not all JW's are stupid. It is easy to make blanket statements.

I think that as a percentage, JW's have more stupid people than most other groups. But they are not all stupid. Some are so trapped that they must believe the nonsense that the WTBTS blurts out, or so they tell themselves.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Steve Hassan agrees that just because you're under cult mind control does not mean you are mentally deficient.

• reniaa
    reniaa

This is a case of what is your poison! everyone has varying beliefs.

Name-calling like "Stupid" etc says more about the sayer than the receiver.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Of course they're not "stupid" as a group. As Mr. Flipper said, read S. Hassan's work ('Releasing The Bonds' is the newer of the two books) and you'll soon see it's not that simple. There are numerous factors at work, of which intelligence is merely one, and probably not the most important one.

• Mary
    Mary

You can't brush all Witnesses with the same stroke. Yes I know some Witnesses that I would indeed categorize as "stupid" but I think the majority are just mentally lazy. That's not really their fault though since it's the religion itself that zaps any ambition or "independent thinking" that you have. And because you're not allowed to think and reason for yourself, that simply encourages a person to become mentally lazy. My best friend in high school graduated with honours and was strongly encouraged by our Guidance Counsellor to consider going to university but with Armageden being so close, she wanted to spend the few years left in this System of Things, pioneering. Total waste of talent. Another friend of mine at the Hall had her son in an 'enrichment' school, as he showed extreme talent from the age of 4 on. As soon as the elders found that she was allowing him to practice after school, they surprised her with a 'shepperding call'. You can guess what the end result was.

I've known plenty of Witnesses that, given the right encouragement, could go far in life but since the goons at the top like to control everyone's life, they do what all cults do: belittle you, demand more, instill feelings of guilt, discourage goals and dreams you may have in life and even control what you think.

I grew up thinking I was the stupidest person on the planet in part because of the religion and because I was never encouraged to do anything with what talent I possessed. It's actually amazing that more Witnesses don't live in hovels given how much is taken from them.

• reniaa
    reniaa

lol this topic is funny, Judging how many people have realised they can't call Witnesses stupid without calling themselves stupid for being wtnesses once and so instead we heard long meanderings of how some maybe are and others are just poor deluded victims or others grew up and realised it was wrong by virtue of being an adult, you can easily see at which point they became witnesses and at what age they left.

The nicest comments are probs those that were witnesses the longest :S

I wonder if the poster realised what a double-edge sword this topic would be ^^

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree. Witnesses are not stupid. Though I was never so foolish as to join. I credit my mother for teaching me to spot the machinations.

Reniaa, if you don't mind, I have noticed a specific cognitive fuzziness on your part when you have responded to specific issues. So far you've blamed it on the lateness of the night and other things. For instance, on the issue of pedophiles, you took my comment regarding the churches having specific standards and training for youth workers, and turned it around to suggest we don't discipline individual congregation members who sin. You conclude that the Watchtower Society therefore, must be 'cleaner'. You made a terrificly illogical leap. It is very curious.

• Caedes
    Caedes

If someone claims to have 'the truth' then I think they are severely lacking in critical thinking skills, I wouldn't say that makes them stupid. I have met some very intelligent witnesses but very few well educated ones. The WBTS is right to be concerned over education, because the more education you get the lower your chances of being suckered by their mind control.

• Mary
    Mary
    reniaa said: Judging how many people have realised they can't call Witnesses stupid without calling themselves stupid for being wtnesses once and so instead we heard long meanderings of how some maybe are and others are just poor deluded victims or others grew up and realised it was wrong by virtue of being an adult, you can easily see at which point they became witnesses and at what age they left.

Reniaa I never thought I'd say this, but why don't you do everyone on here a favour and piss off back to the Kingdom Hall. Your comment above clearly shows that you haven't a clue what we're all about, and instead try to smugly suggest that the only reason we don't claim that all Witnesses are "stupid" is because we were once Witnesses ourselves. That just shows how stupid you can be, and I don't say that in jest.

You've ignored countless posts on here regarding doctrinal issues when it becomes clear you have no defense----a typical Witness tactic that we've seen on here countless times. If you think you'd be happier in an environment where a group of men control virtually every aspect of your life then by all means, start studying with the Witnesses again. But please don't come on here and try telling us that our motives for what we've written aren't real or were only posted so that we don't make ourselves look bad. It doesn't say a whole hell of a lot about you or your intelligence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit