It looks like I will become an elder this week!

by outofthebox 181 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yeah, like, without puking?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Outofthebox it sounds like you have the spirit of truth within you and not the fake ordained holly spirit from the Watchtower Society, your in trouble !

• Gregor
    Gregor

Maybe I sound harsh but even as an Ex-JW I find this sort of thing repugnant :(

Renaai, I'm of the same opinion. But I try to keep in mind that various individuals who are still involved have complicated motives and situations to deal with. Hopefully, he will be able to do some good but personally I think he is juggling hatchets.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I like what you are doing. What opened my eyes to the truth about the WTS was an adulterous friend of mine being appointed an elder, whilst having an affair.

If you are appointed that can be used very powerfully later on. I understand that others are concerned about the hypocrisy, but can use this to your advantage, and will not have to sucumb to doing anything wrong. You can be a force for good on Judicial committees, refusing to disfellowship people etc. Of course you need to be prepared that you may not last as an elder for long if you make a scene, and it may fast track you to being disfellowshipped.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Maybe I sound harsh but even as an Ex-JW I find this sort of thing repugnant :(

Renaai, I'm of the same opinion. But I try to keep in mind that various individuals who are still involved have complicated motives and situations to deal with. Hopefully, he will be able to do some good but personally I think he is juggling hatchets.

I agree he's juggling hatchets but I don't see how he can do any Good if his motivation is to do it for the reasons he's given, If by good you mean persuade people out of the Jw's well there's more to being an elder than those sort of conversations, as someone pointed out on this thread he had to deal with a suicidal woman, if your motivated by alternate personal goals then how can you be sure to give advice that won't make you reponsible for something bad and young children look upto elders and goto them for all sorts of advice.

He's playing with peoples lives by not being honest.

I think those who lose their faith after attaining Eldership etc have justification in taking their time extracting themselves hopefully doing it without hurting people, but even in this case I would say honesty was best answer to minimise the consequences.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Well each to their own I suppose

Maddie

• veradico
    veradico

I remember wanting an elder friend of mine who stopped believing around the time I did to remain in his position. I thought about all the good he could do. However, I don't think I realized at the time the sort of pressures an elder is put under and the level of duplicity and inauthenticity one would have to embrace in order to make it work. I think what you're doing will put you in a position to do good, but you may be taking on more than you can handle.

Best of luck,
    V

• poppers
    poppers

If you become an elder here's a chance to 'fess up publicly and let everyone know that the Holy Spirit had nothing to do with it. Now wouldn't that open a few eyes?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I don't agree with what you're about to do, outofthebox...I remember thinking the same thing when I took the MS position when I started researching the Society's problems. "Now that I have this position I can avoid detection and help people" I thought. I never should've taken the position. You've got to think about what sort of mental toll this is going to have on you...

If you become an elder here's a chance to 'fess up publicly and let everyone know that the Holy Spirit had nothing to do with it. Now wouldn't that open a few eyes?

It'll backfire, poppers. They'll just reason that the REAL H.S. came through to expose this man as a wicked apostate. They'll believe whatever they want to in order to resolve the dissonance.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

what are you going to do about judicial committees. What about praying at the beginning or ending of a meeting. What about giving the public talk, teaching what you know to be a lie? What about encouraging people in the congregation to waste their lives pursuing a dream that will never come true? There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit