Drinks with my father last night...

by bluesbreaker59 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Ok, so I've been DF'd for almost a year now, and out of the blue my dad asked me to go out for drinks with him. This is big because he's an elder in my former hall. He's only seen me once in the year I've been out, at my (step)grandfather's funeral (his father in law). I now have a beard, play in a band, have a wonderful woman in my life that I am very serious about, and I'm just happy to be alive. The "premise" of this meeting was to introduce me to a restaurant owner, so my band could play there, and to talk about helping him out with his business, as I used to be in the same business a few years back. I thought this was going to be a memorial invite, and a brow-beating session. Well...it wasn't. I was nervous all day, and had been praying about it. When I got there a strange calm came over me, like nothing was wrong at all. I came in and sat down and could see his hands were shaking, and he was nervous, but happy to see me. We talked about life, football, music, our jobs, my girlfriend, restaurants, etc. Nothing religious was said. We talked and drank for a little over an hour, and then left, out in the parking lot he hugged me, and told me how much he missed me, and "We have to do something about that". I told him that I didn't like it either, but I was not going to be a witness again ever. He said "Well, when you told me the other day that you and GF are thinking of getting married and having a family, I have to be a part of that. It would kill me to not be around my grandkids. We have to do something about this so we can spend time around each other again. I'm not sure what yet, but we'll work it out." I told him ok, and we left, we are supposed to meet up again next week.

See my dad was a wonderful father. He raised me on his own from the time I was 5, until I was 11 when he married my stepmom. My mom was only a weekend mother at that point in my life. I DO miss him, but I know that he desires to be a witness, and so does my step mom, so I don't cause any waves for them. I just let them be, and I continue living my life the best way I know how. Its very difficult, but I know that he can't support my choices on the holidays, birthdays, sleeping with my girlfriend, occasionally smoking a cigar, going to the Presbyterian church, etc. Recently, like the last 6 months or so, we've been talking on the phone every week, usually 2 - 4 times a week. I don't desire to see my step mom or her family, I also don't care about many people from my dad's family. I just want to have him, and my aunt (his little sister) involved in my life. They are the only ones that still speak to me, since I got DF'd.

My girlfriend and I have talked very seriously about my dad's family not being involved in our life OR with our (future) children, should we have any. Neither of us want ANY JW influence on our kids, we want them to have a very happy, normal childhood. We also have said that if the family won't speak to me, then they won't speak to our kids either. Its just such a pain in the ass, I wished this religion would just come to an end, or that my dad would "wake up", and realize he's serving a book company.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

What I find oustandingly commendable on your father's part is that he has taken the first step. He sought you out! There must be something turning in his head to do this you know. He wants to be a part of his BLOOD family, meaning any granchildren. This is normal. However, YOU have a great opportunity to capitalize on this.

Time will work things out for you. Wait things out a few months and try inserting small amounts of jw doubt in him. Little issues that YOU know he will dwell on. You know your father better than anyone, show him love, even though you have been shunned for the past year. Keep his attention piqued with you and your future family. It seems as though he is really concerned with YOUR future.

My thoughts.

NMG

• yesidid
    yesidid

Your father is simply a wonderful man.

How I would have loved a father like yours.

• reniaa
    reniaa

I don't agree with the second posters advice at all, If your father has come to you out of love then thats what you should give him back, to use it as an opportunity to try and deconvert him would make you as bad as what you hate in the witnesses, that being said it sounds like you have a great relationship with your father and from what you said you both love each other enough to work things out, I really hope it works out for you there.

I did want to ask one question, your post makes it unclear if your not wanting your stepmom in your life is a personal thing or just because she is a witness?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your father is simply a wonderful man.

Like many of us were, he is simply misguided by a mind-control cult.

Keep him in your life. Just be careful as kids grow up that he isn't
    indoctrinating them. He would do it because he thinks it is the right
    thing to do. Even there, it doesn't sound like you have much to be
    concerned about. He would hate to lose what he defied WT to gain.

Right now, he is struggling with his loyalty to WT and his love for you.
    Keep him in your life and even if he never left the WT, he would become
    a believing fader and let his real self guide his most important decisions
    in life.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

MUTUAL RESPECT simple and beautiful , Wish more witnesses would understand this basic concept .

Your Dad sounds wonderful . He already is showing he can and does think for himself which is a great start . I hope you will both be able to work out a way to have a healthy happy family relationship .

• Gopher
    Gopher

I admire and secretly envy the relationship you have with your father. That's really great that he made contact with you like this.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Great news Blues.

OM

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Beautiful experience. I'm incredibly happy for you. THAT is how they all should behave.

I disagree with nomoreguilt's advice to chip away at his beliefs. Leave it alone. Agree to disagree and move on to something that you CAN share.

Thank you for showing us a hopeful situation.

-Aude.

• flipper
    flipper

BLUESBREAKER - I'm very happy for you that your dad is drawing closer to you. Keep him close to you emotionally and in time he may exit the cult on his own when he sees how caring and loving you and your girlfriend are . Your dad loves you very much and it is great to see him valuing his son's relationship - over being an elder in the Jehovah's Witness cult. Just keep setting a good example for him in showing unconditional love - and you never know what things may come of it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit