For Christians...Is It Just Me or Am I Losing My Mind

by XJW4EVR 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Robdar

I do not interpret the scripture literally.

You don't seem to "interpret" me literaly either

The many individuals make up the body of Christ/the Church. Well, I am an individual and a part of the body, therefore I am the Church. You yourself said it.

I did? Wow! When you read the bible, do you tell God what he says too?

• Robdar
    Robdar
    When you read the bible, do you tell God what he says too?

Now why should I do that when I've got you to tell me what God says? Obviously you understand the mind of God better than I do. Been missing the kingdom hall lately? And please, have the last word because anything else you have to say isn't worthy of a response. And so you shall not have one.
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle

hello there Robdar - always great to meet someone that doesn't take the bible literally - it's very difficult to have discussion with ones that do - I had a hard time this weekend discussing Eve, Adam, Christ and how they could be seen as the stars, moon, sun or seen as flesh, a first glimpse of truth and then becoming one with the creator.

DDog - Jesus took 30 years to prepare himself for 3 years of ministry - I'm still in preparation: because if I speak not one word of a lie must be spoken, if I prophesy (like many do in churches) I must make sure it's the words of god and not my own, if I speak in tongues I must know that there is someone that can interperate - too many times in churches pepole do these things in order to appear holy, in order appear spiritual and connected to god when in truth it's their flesh seeking glory. That is why I stand by the thought that I am the church - I need to manifest the wholeness of christ in every aspect. I do understand where you are coming from - I just don't agree with it and that's okay.........right

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    And please, have the last word because anything else you have to say isn't worthy of a response. And so you shall not have one.

You mean, I won't have you to tell me what I'm saying?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LouBelle

Feel free to disagree with me, anytime you like!

• jgnat
    jgnat

XJW4, insightful thread. I'm glad you started it. In my other life as a Sunday School teacher, I happen to be covering "Worship" in the curriculum with my young charges. The DVD that comes with our Sunday School package includes a song called "Doxology". My researcher's gene was activated, so I looked it up.

This Protestant version of Doxology was written in 1674. At least some of my children are charged up about this song. It's connecting with them.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    hello there Robdar - always great to meet someone that doesn't take the bible literally - it's very difficult to have discussion with ones that do - I had a hard time this weekend discussing Eve, Adam, Christ and how they could be seen as the stars, moon, sun or seen as flesh, a first glimpse of truth and then becoming one with the creator.

Hi LouBelle, I agree--It is very difficult to have a conversation with fundies. But I've learned something, the louder they are, the more they are fighting something they subconsiously suspect to be true. They cannot help themselves. They are really afraid. Afraid of God and of losing their salvation. Until love sets them free, they will continue to worry and be afraid. And they will continue to try to force their way upon you. I am sure that they mean well. They just cannot help themselves. IMO, the best thing to do is to try to understand them and not engage them in arguments. It's sort of like that old Irish saying: It is better not to wrestle with pigs. You will only get yourself muddy and annoy the pig.

Interesting that you speak in tongues. I would like to talk to you more about that sometimes.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

LouBelle wrote:

if I speak in tongues I must know that there is someone that can interperate -

My understanding of this scripture (in context) is not quite as literal as the jws would have us believe. I have happily moved away from their teaching of the scriptures. My belief now --- on this scriptural thought --- is that when people "speak in tongues" it doesn't matter what language is heard by the ears, because the words are understood at the soul level. I have personally sat in on prayers, etc. that were spoken in a foreign language, and I felt they soothed me --- at a very deep level. That's why I now believe it is the soul that understands. I feel the Holy Spirit has the power to make that connection between language barriers.

Blessings

ESTEE

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Interesting that you speak in tongues. I would like to talk to you more about that sometimes.

Robdar: no no I dont - I put an IF before all those things I listed using *I* instead of *you*. I personally think it's a ""baby"" thing and have other feelings toward it.

Estee - you know when I went to a church and they spoke in tongues it actually irritated me so much - perhaps because it seemed that they were trying to show they had the spirit - I don't know but I mean if it doesn't make sense it's not a tongue surely??? **shrug** Besides I don't need to speak in any other language for my god to understand and know how I feel.

DDog - likewise - you can disagree with me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit