For Christians...Is It Just Me or Am I Losing My Mind

by XJW4EVR 58 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I just ended a three week sabbatical from attending my usual Christian fellowship. Going back last night, I was struck by just how superficial and shallow the worship service was. It was almost as if the worship leader was trying to manufacture joy in the believers. It was almost as if he was a song leader at some sporting event attempting to whip up the crowd into a controlled frenzy. The whole seen just disgusted me to such a degree that I walked outside and waited until it was over, and then returned to my seat.

Am I the only one that is turned off by this "happy clappy" worship, or is this something that you have experienced too? Where is the blue note of Christian worship music? I mean when you look at the Psalms, they are full of lyric that I would categorize as the blues. Where is the despair that is displayed in the Psalms? Where are the songs of lament? Are there any Christians out there that have experienced this?

• hmike
    hmike

Hi,

I attend a non-traditional Protestant church that uses the "happy clappy" worship. I feel somewhat the way you do many times, although with my church, the enthusiasm seems genuine. But it's tough if the music doesn't meet you where you are.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hi XJ,

Im not a christian but I work with a guy who is a happy campy xian. I think he is a sincere dude. I think you are what you think you are. Im a happy person too. At the same time his "Jesus, Love, Have a blessed day bla bla bla" attitude can irritate even me.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Life is a journey, When you were a wactower salesperson that was like prekindergarden. Now that you have made it to a Christian fellowship, you have made it to kindergarden. You got a long way to go grasshopper.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

XJ

I feel your pain brother! I've been turned off by "happy clappy" worship for years now. It's hard to find a church that ever sings hymns anymore.

I get to church late now, just to hear the sermon.

It's gonna take a while for the seeker service (Rick Warren) model to fade away.

• prophecor
    prophecor

The "Happy Holy Music" can be a bit much to deal with, at times. I despise the enforced, audience participation aspect of today's Churches. Keep getting the feel that Jesus is looking down saying, "I wish they would just, tone it down, a notch. It's begining to feel a little insincere." Everybody put your hands up!!!, put your hands up!!!, Somebody, anybody, everybody, screeeeeeeaammmmmm!!!!!." Oh would you just take that shit back to the club, please!!!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

XJ

Where is the blue note of Christian worship music? I mean when you look at the Psalms, they are full of lyric that I would categorize as the blues. Where is the despair that is displayed in the Psalms? Where are the songs of lament? Are there any Christians out there that have experienced this?

Would you say the worship in your church is man centered or God centered?

• bebu
    bebu

I once went to a Presbyterian church once where the minister and the pianist seemed to think they were a talk show host and the band leader. On the one hand, it didn't seem right or really genuine. On the other hand, I gotta leave judging their genuineness to God. Hopefully, they were genuine...

Remember that not everyone is on the same place at the same time spiritually. You can't cross the same river twice.

I see going to church as an act of corporal worship. It's not about me getting some kind of entertainment, or a way to get juiced up emotionally or spiritually for another week (happy clappy). If God is worthy of worship, then it's an all-or-nothing affair. I've learned that pursuing happy-clappy is not enough, because we just don't have total control over our emotions. But we do have control over our actions, and deciding whether to worship God. Pursuing that usually has the best kinds of side benefits, which are more genuine all around.

bebu

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I have seen eveangelical type youth dance like they are on hot coals. I wonder if they looked at themselves on tape would they think it's as silly as I think it is?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I will ring in here. I too am not for the happy-clappy worship style that has become so prevalent. I dont care for powerpoint or praise music either. Give me a few old time hymns, a piano, and a couple of guitars, and Im in heaven.

Shop around and find you another church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit