The Tower ate many Baby Boomers

by Alex Delta 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

There seems to be a general sense of apathy in our society which is mirrored in the org. Those jws who are zealous, I think, have been born-in and know nothing else so it's their cool thing to do. But there also seems to be a large group of young ones leading double lives because their families are attending meetings and the young ones don't really know how to function independently, so they show up when they have to but spend a lot of time partying.

Don't know that you could get a big turnout for a protest march these days, sadly. I think most people are resigned to the feeling that they can't fix anything so why bother.

I miss the activism.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Activism ? I think it has changed to actually doing something like cleaning up

neighborhoods, building housing for the poor, going to some third world village

and taking in medical supplies, or building a school, or digging a well, or showing

those with no electricity how to build their own solar panels. Activism that just marches

around with signs is ineffective, but if you like that sort of thing, there is the "Occupy"

movement. Very recent, very stylish. Churches have feeding programs that run

every day of the week ( they need volunteers ) Churches also distribute food,

and toys and run shelters. The Witnesses are too busy underlining and highlighting

articles in the Watchtower to bother with any of that "worldly" stuff, like helping others.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

villagegirl, I agree with you that there are quite a few people doing good works, but I don't think that's necessarily new behavior. My generation had the civil rights movement and kids dying in vietnam, and their open protests and bold support of unpopular causes led to major societal changes. Protests in my day were not like Occupy, camping out just to make their presence known. I just don't see that many people focused on the needs of others, or even appropriately outraged about atrocities taking place in the world. I guess when I was growing up there was more of a generalized anti-establishment thinking, and I don't see that happening today. That's all I meant. And I think that apathy carries over to jw youth.

• prologos
    prologos

"ate many baby boomers" ?past tense?

they still do, the diet has changed though,

from hours-service it is now

harvesting time, anuities, estates, sellable real estate.-

the widows mite; your last testament guarantee of a resurrection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit