Hi from a new member in North Florida!

by BinaryThaumaturgy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BinaryThaumaturgy
    BinaryThaumaturgy

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on the forum for a while and wanted to finally register and post something. I'm 23 years old, and was born and raised a JW. I've been out "officially" now for about a year, although I've really been out since I was 16. 1914 was the kicker for me. I was too smart a kid to let the problems with that date just slip by. And I'm too principled to lie to myself and stay in just to feel good about being able to see my friends and family.

Like most, I'm having trouble adapting to life outside. I'm natually a pretty quiet person, and it doesn't help that my social skills are woefully inadequate in most situations. Does anyone have any advice? Ways to help open up and meet like minded people? I find myself equally repulsed by the world at large (pithy and immoral) and the JWs (two-faced and closed-minded). Is there anyone else here in North Florida (Ocala\Gainesville)?

And again, Hi!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

momzcrazy

• delilah
    delilah

Hello and welcome. I'm not from Florida, but I've been there a few times....

It was a bit trying, to make friends on the "outside" at first, because of the JW upbringing, and their thwarted view of so-called "worldly" people... but it eventually got easier. I work with the public, and I'm an out-going person, so it helped.

Just go to places that you enjoy, and seek like-minded people there. Like a library, or museum, a theatre, coffee shop. Do you have any work mates that you can chum with for a start? Neighbours?

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Welcome! Glad you're here.

I just minutes ago talked to my DF'd sister (I say that to differentiate from the sisters that I haven't talked to in years). We commented on how our dad cannot talk about anything but he can preach. . .how's the weather? Well, the end is coming as evidenced by recent weather changes. . .you get the picture. She said that that's why she had such a hard time making conversation with new friends, because she never talked about anything but the jw religion for 35 years, since she was 11. I agreed, that while I was in sales for many years, when we left the Hohos, I had a hard time conversing with people, I could sell them, but not talk with them. And, it was hard to not snobbishly ignore or correct comments that I didn't agree with--like field service.

Give yourself time and patience, read all you can about the news, politics, REAL science-not the abridged JW version, you'll not only have be more informed and won't feel like you've been cloistered away from humanity. You'll be a good listener and apt conversationalist before you know it.

Being here and reading what others are going through will help too, there are great people here, and everywhere in fact!!

• DJK
    DJK
    repulsed by the world at large (pithy and immoral)

Are you talking to me? LOL

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the world. It really isnt as bad as that. IMO

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I find myself equally repulsed by the world at large (pithy and immoral) and the JWs (two-faced and closed-minded).

It's hard to turn off that judgmental mind-set, isn't it? But you're young and you've got all the time in the world to explore. Tap into your natural curiousity about the world around you (that has been thwarted by being a JW), and you won't be able to help but make friends.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome BT!!! Glad to hear you didn't waste your youth... like I did.

Suggestions? As already mentioned, hang out where other people are interacting, deprogram the JW preachy mentality, and learn some non-judgemental social skills. And if you want to meet people, find a cause and VOLUNTEER. Maybe a hospital, volunteer firefighters, relief agencies, etc. Try one for a while, and if it isn't a good fit, find another. It's a good way to meet giving, caring people.

You don't need to be in a big hurry. After all, it's not like the end is coming tomorrow

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Welcome to the forum. I am from the opposite corner of the continent, but wouldn't mind being in Florida after weeks of freezing temps in Vancouver.

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome BT

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have an aunt and cousin in that area. Both are in the org and both are a little crazy. Havent talked to either in years. The aunt may be dead by now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit