JWs came to my door

by Victorian sky 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Hi all. Haven't posted in a while - primitive genius and I had a baby! (A gorgeous boy) So we've been busy to say the least. Had a wake up call this morning from JWs. Since I faded 5 years ago, this is only the second time JWs have come. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to answer but I did. It was a father and son. The boy was about 7 years old. I asked 'JWs?' The man smiled and said 'Why, yes'. I said, 'I feel very sorry for you and your son.' The smile went away instantly. He said 'What do you mean?' I said, 'My husband was in your religion. His parents and sister shun him because in good conscience, he could not remain a part of your organization.' The JW said 'They shun him?' I said 'Yeah, they haven't spoken to him in 3 years, how unloving and sad is that?' He said, 'It's not unloving.' I said, 'Then what do you call it?' He said, 'Well I can show you in the bible...' I cut him off and said, 'Oh my inlaws have shown me those verses that you all take out of context. JWs, Mormans, Scientologists and other fringe groups are the only ones who interpret those verses to kick out former members, real Christians don't do that. Jesus would never treat people the way your religion does. My father in law is one of your elders and he's too holy to come to our house. The only way he saw his only grandson was because we took the baby to him.' The JW said, 'Well if wrong doing was involved...' I said, 'My husband is a good, moral man, his big crime is no longer believing in your religion. So tell me, when your sweet little boy grows up and decides to think for himself and he tells you he no longer believes your religion is The Truth are you prepared to turn your back on him?' He looked at his son and didn't answer. I asked again. 'Can you shun this boy? Your own flesh and blood because that's what your religion will tell you to do.' He looked at the boy again and said nothing. I said, 'How can you be a part of an organization that tears families apart? Where's the love?' He still said nothing, he just looked at me and fidgeted from foot to foot. I felt myself getting emotional and I was afraid I'd start crying and appear crazy, so I said 'Have a good day, I feel sorry for you and your son and I'll pray for you.' Don't think he liked that at all. So I'm hoping that the next time JWs come to my door, I'll be more prepared. I want to be calm, cool and collected. I wanted to help him and that boy but I didn't know how. Just thought I'd share.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Victorian sky,

I think that you did marvelously! You helped more than you think that you did.

You made the man think. Not an easy thing to do.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    'My husband is a good, moral man, his big crime is no longer believing in your religion. So tell me, when your sweet little boy grows up and decides to think for himself and he tells you he no longer believes your religion is The Truth are you prepared to turn your back on him?'

Victorian Sky, that is so brilliantly simple. It said more than a prepared sermon ever could..Be proud.

• flipper
    flipper

VICTORIAN SKY - I agree with JIM TX, I think you did FANTASTIC ! You really made him use his critical thinking ability by jolting him to reality , forcing him to use his brain ( outside of the witness cult thinking ). I think the way you handled it was the best at the door witness experience I've seen since being on the board for 11 months. Great, sis ! Believe me, he will not forget the comparison you made towards his son ! That was a great think to make him think . Great job , sis ! Hope he and his son get out of it some day

• megaflower
    megaflower

You did a beautiful job. To put it thier own talk (JW) you planted a seed, hopefuuly this man(father) will ponder what you said and maybe some root will take.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I have to tell you, your post made my day.

The crux of the matter comes down to this, "why shun someone because their opinion differs from yours?"

I was DFs because I simply said, "I don't believe in your interpretations anymore". That's it!

So because I as an adult, uses my mind and my free will to say, I don't believe in your religion, your religion shuns me, which includes family, which is not only not spiritual, it's not biblical in any way. People are allowed to believe what they want.

Anyway, I wish I could save that response because it was absolutely one of the best I have heard, with heartfelt honest feelings. I applaud you.

• oompa
    oompa

You Rock Girl!!!!!!!!!!!! You may have really made a difference.....don't cahnge anything...........I hope the kid was listening.................oompa

• delilah
    delilah

Excellent job!! Wonder how he explained that to his son?

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son!!! Good to see you posting again!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I think that you did marvelously! You helped more than you think that you did.

You made the man think. Not an easy thing to do.

Regards,

Jim TX

You may never know the depths that you reached. If he has the tiniest twinge of a doubt,
    I would imagine this guy doesn't let his son get baptized at an early age. He will hold him
    off from it so the WT can't tell him to shun his own flesh-and-blood.

Even if the boy gets DF'ed later, the man will remember your words. They will bother him
    further when he becomes a grandfather in "this system of things."

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Victorian sky,

You did a beautiful job.... it's all about getting them to think. Sounds like you did that.

I understand about the emotion part. I used to shake with emotion when trying to talk to a jw. I couldn't control it...it was overwhelming....I don't get that way anymore...thankfully...

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit