STANLEY THEATRE - ASSEMBLY HALL

by BluesBrother 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

All assembly halls built, are built with a lot of glory and grandeur. One of the assembly halls I worked on took about 5 years and cost anywhere from $12-14 million dollars in construction cost, but all built by volunteers. This essentually means any money poured into any of the buildings goes directly into the building. Labor is free.

I bring this up because rebuilding the Stanley Theater was a massive feat. And using the free labor of the local brothers they, quite literally, took every square inch of it and rebuilt it back to it's "glory days". The architecture may be different, But the effort put into it is no different than any other assembly hall.

Now, to pull it all in, the organization inflates itself with pride for such work because the work performed is by the hands of the brothers and paid for by the brothers. They condemn catherals and such for being ornate and such with (and let's face it, there is a point here) with stolen gold and money taken from the poor. we will never know how much raped gold from whatever native civilizations sit beneath the Vatican. anyway, the point is in their minds of the JW's there is a drastic difference between the commissioning an artist to sculpt Madonna and Child out of marble and simply polishing a painted door until the copper underneth shines using nothing but elbow grease and the love of god. So that's how they get that separation. and I personally, will give them that.

HOWEVER, when I (used to) walk into any assembly hall, the idea pops in my head "this is not a struggling group of pour humble christians, is it?" and they are not. And I get that feeling when I walk into a cathedral as well. Same feeling... both locations. So yes, there is hypocracy in their presentation. There is also a pompus pride which is... of course a sin... but that's a different thread.

-James

backseatdevil.com

• Splash
    Splash

I would LOVE to know what the "..." missed out in the quote:

*** g85 10/22 p. 25 A Historic Landmark Becomes an Assembly Hall for Jehovah’s Witnesses ***
    WHEN the new Stanley Theater was opened in Journal Square, Jersey City, on March 24, 1928, it was one of the largest in the United States. Its beauty drew high praises, particularly its exquisite interior with its Italian facade. “If you have ever traveled to Italy, . . . where the picturesque villas and colorful courts remind us of the artistic glory that was Rome’s,” noted one early reporter, “then you can have an inkling of the interior of this new Stanley Theatre.”

Splash

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Did they retain the architectural integrity.? I can picture the entire NY art crowd pestering. them. NJ is having a renaissance. If my memories are valid, I would pay to see the theatre.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

The Stanley Theater was designed by a Freemason named John Eberson. His most notable projects have been Scottish Rite Masonic Temples.

(No... I don't think green lizards are going to take over the earth...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit