"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character...

by digderidoo 261 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

Way I see it, if the good Lord wants to whack somebody, who am I to judge?

alt

Or did you just mean your god?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't see God in that picture, do you?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

I don't see God in that picture, do you?

The perpetrators did, as well you know. They, like the Israelites, believed they were following their god's wishes to have innocents from unbelieving nations "whacked". Without questioning and judging the actions and the (imaginary) gods who ordered them, there is no obvious way to distinguish one from the other.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The perpetrators did, as well you know. They, like the Israelites, believed they were following their god's wishes to have innocents from unbelieving nations "whacked". Without questioning and judging the actions and the (imaginary) gods who ordered them, there is no obvious way to distinguish one from the other.

Last I checked, those guys never personally saw God lay the smackdown on Egypt, split a sea and a river, make food fall from the sky, and do a bunch of other stuff that pretty much establishes deity credentials. When they and a few thousand other eyewitnesses see something like that at the same time, and get marching orders, then we can pretty much start thinking of throwing the questioning and judging out the window, then we will be talking about some form of equivalence.

Burn

• Dead Man Joaquin
    Dead Man Joaquin

I believe that Yah Elohim was the god of the OT and the NT. Hell, even Jesus' real (Hebrew) name was Yahoshua, which means Yah-saved. I also believe that Jesus was who he claimed to be and that the Bible is inspired (if not infallible). But how to reconcile the OT Yah with the NT Yah? A perplexing issue indeed. I posit 2 theories:

1) God indeed "grew", "changed", or "evolved" as humanity's spirituality grew/changed/evolved. He is reflected in the collective consciousness of the time and changes with the time.

2) Some of the OT prophets misrepresented Yah or acted without His approval. This goes back to my belief that the Bible may be inspired but perhaps not infallible.

Just my $0.02

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    alt

Most awesome and compact response on the thread!

• Caedes
    Caedes

BurnTheShips:

Way I see it, if the good Lord wants to whack somebody, who am I to judge?

alt

BTS - owned

• Caedes
    Caedes

Snowbird,

was my question too difficult?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Maybe owned in your estimation Caedes, but as I said, I don't see God doing anything in that picture.

Burn

• inkling
    inkling
    I don't see God doing anything in that picture.

No, obviously God is not doing anything. People are doing something FOR GOD.

[ink]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit