Medical Billing & Coding

by sandy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Here is another site you should check out:

http://www.aapc.com/

I have attended a few conferences from this group

The have a professional coder certification. This is very valuable when you are trying to differentiate your skill set from someone else.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

hi sandy

though I am not using it right now, I have a certificate in Medical Coding and Billing and an Associates in Medical Office Technology... that and $5 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks

As others have said, the process is complex. Its not the learning of the codes so much that is complicated, its the learning of which codes to use when to maximize the amount of money that the insurance companies or government will pay on a claim. Using the wrong diagnosis code(s) along with the wrong procedure code(s) (though technically correct), will get paid less money to the doctor or hospital.

I have heard the easiest way to break into this is to get an entry level job in a specialty, where the number of codes is more limited and tend to be used over and over. That will get you familiar with the billing and coding process. I believe it also takes 5 years of experience before you can become certified as a coder...I forget (and I am not certified...certifiable maybe....kidding)

I would recommend the classes.... I think my certificate was only 4 or 5 classes total.. (the associates was 71 credits)

go on Amazon and type in medical coding, billing..... as search terms ..you might get some used books (of older additions) to give you some idea how it works..and there are CDs out there that have lots of practice exams..... but dont rely on the older coder books to do any real book...it constantly changes...

snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit