Medical Billing & Coding

by sandy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Are there any billers/coders here? I'm trying to learn it on my own billing mostly medicare and medi-cal. I don't know where to start. I'm trying to learn on my own w/out taking classes. If you have any book suggestions or any other advice I'd appreciate it. Everytime I search online I get nothing but schools and online courses.

• sandy
    sandy

bttt

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi Sandy...I worked doing data entry for a medical claims co for a year. Don't know if that's what you'r looking for. It's hard to find just the codes. Try typing in "medical codes"....not coding, and you will get some results that aren't just school advertising.

I found this link.

http://www.icd9data.com/

This site says there's a free download.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Information_Management/Information_Reference_Databases/SCIROCCO_ICD_9___NDC_Medical_Code_Viewer.html

• Scully
    Scully

Is there a local school or college that teaches these courses?

If you go to their bookstore (or check them online) you may be able to find the literature you need to become familiar with the codes.

• exwitless
    exwitless

I work in a medical office. I don't deal directly with billing, but I do have quite a bit of knowlege about the process. It is extremely complicated. The rules change all the time, especially with Medicare. This is not something you should be trying to learn on your own without taking classes. May I ask, why do you want to learn it? If it's to get a job in billing, you most definitely need some sort of formal training. Good luck to you!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I'm not a biller or coder, but I do work in a nice big hospital. If you work in such a place, it's likely that they would pay you to take courses in billing or coding, because it would make you more valuable to them. Ask your supervisor, or the human resources, or see if there's a Benefits Department.

gently feral

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks for all the replies. I have no medical experience at all. I'm actually going to start taking a class at the local adult school in my area at the end of the month. I have no clue how complicated it. I'm going to start billing for my fiance. Every job I've ever done I've learned through on the job training and I was hoping I could do the same here. My fiance insists I don't need the course. I really think I do. Thanks again for your replies and the links Tatiana.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

So your fiancé is a doctor? Cool beans; he should know – so if he says you don't need formal training, he's probably right – especially if he's had self-taught billers before and been satisfied with their service.

But you think you need a little more education? You know yourself better than anyone else can –so you're probably right. Looks like you have the situation well in hand. I wish you all sixteen different kinds of good luck :)

GentlyFeral

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks GF for the well wishes. We just went over the billing and coding stuff and he may be right after all. It seems pretty simple at least the part I'm going to start off with.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a hopsital auditor by profession. Most of my audits are not coding related, but I have to have a general understanding of coding issues. I have found that the best coders have a clinical background. Are you a nurse or other clinician?

I have taken various seminars on coding over the years. Just google hospital coding and you should get some good hits.

Here is one:

http://campus.ahima.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit