Why won't South Park parody the Witnesses

by joelbear69 35 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Family Guy has made fun of the Witnesses a couple of times. The Evil Monkey that lives in Chris' closet turned into a JW, and in the song "This house is frickin sweet", they mention that they will stop Jehovah's at the Gate, while smacking the JW with the pamphlets. The Simpsons also have made fun of the JW's a couple of times as well. I would LOVE if South Park would do something on the Witnesses as well.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

The evil monkey is not so evil since becoming a JW.

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

the boys that write for south park only write on current affairs,unless something really huge happened to witnesses they wont touch it.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    There is a reference when everyone is in hell and a guy goes "I was a faithful JW and I'm in hell- why?" or something like that, and Satan checks his clipboard and says "It was the Mormons who had it right" and everyone goes "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pretty damn close. The j-dub on South Park referred to himself as a 'practicing Jehovah's Witness' and wanted to know why he wasn't selected to go to heaven. And then, as you mentioned, everyone was informed that only the Mormon's had it right and were going to heaven. I love South Park. They have had many references to the j-dubs.

• rache31
    rache31

I've also seen references to JW's on South Park...But all in all, I don't think people really care about what they're doing. Witnesses are the only ones so damned preoccupied with themselves, they need to get a life!

• wednesday
    wednesday

I watch the reruns at night. Two nights ago i saw the one about John Edwards, the psychic that talks to the dead. I was hilarious. they crowned him douche bag of the universe.

I have heard references to jws on thee as well as on others sitcoms. SNL had the famous "land shark" skits where they mention jws, and Wt, and even in movies listen carefully. For example. we were watching "throw momma from the train" a while back and i had never noticed that when one of them is out on a ledge they say something about they were out there selling the wt and awake.

South park is not afraid. If they were afraid they would not have done one about Scientology. those people have lots more money than jws. But they lost chef b/c of the episode.. he quit b/c of it and then they made fun of that.

lol show.

• brinjen
    brinjen

There used to be a show on Aussie TV back in the late 70's/early 80's, 'Kingswood Country'. Man I miss that show!

One of the famous lines, main character Ted Bullpit about to answer the door, "If that's the Jehovah's Witnesses I'm gonna thread them through the letterbox!" *hesitates* "No wait, I'll feign interest for a few minutes, then I'll thread them through the letterbox!"

They were always taking the mickey out of the dubs on that show!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

The thing is you have to come up with a good premice for the show. Yes, the JW's are well know, but what of their practices or beliefs are extremely outlandish?

I was talking about this with a fellow poster actually well over a year ago, maybe closer to two and we thought a good story line was that Kenny's parents became JW's. They're trailer trash so they could show how JW's focus on the poor. Then, you'd have Kenny get hurt, and being in critical condition so he needs a blood transfusion. But what blood fractions could Kenny use? His family isn't sure, oh can he get this organ transplant? Oh my god, the JW's killed Kenny!

OK, somebody's got to add to that. Good thing with SP, is they usually have two or three story lines going at the same time, so it may be easy to actually do it, they'd just have to find another half story to match it with.

Kwin

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Their beliefs are just so close to mainstream that it won't work. In fact I fear it could have the exact OPPISITE of the effect we want! Better to just let shows ridicule them from a distance. Plus it gives US ammo to use against them. I was watching Venture bros at my parents house and they had one of Dr ventures old crewmen (some sort of mutant fish) who had become a witness. He said some stuff and my mom was like "that's not what we believe!" So I got to say "yep and after 70ish years of preaching all over the world NO ONE not affiliated with the witnesses knows what you believe... So much for advertising the kingdom! Most people don't even know that witnesses are Christians!! Maybe the rocks will start yelling soon?"

I find the fact that most people don't know what witnesses believe to be a huge arguing point. I actually got one of my friends out by using that as a stepping stone. We were in Walmart and we were talking about the great psycho jehogie killing everyone and he said "they've had their chance! We've talked to everyone!" and I countered "yes, but WHAT have you told them? To make a choice they have to understand the issues and NO ONE DOES!" He said sure they did so I started just asking random people "excuse me do you have any idea what JW's believe?" We got a lot of "they don't celebrate Xmas, they don't believe in birthdays, they don't believe in Jesus..." (we got that one a LOT)

So I said "So most people don't even believe that JW's are Christians, so when you come to their door they believe that by NOT taking your literature they are in fact SUPPORTING Jesus... And god is gonna PUNISH them for that?"

So that shut him up. Then he went to the hall and asked a bunch of people "why do you preach" out of about 30 people only about 3 said "to tell people about Jesus being set up in 1914 and the end coming..." They were all older women pioneers from the 50's 60's. He left soon after and hasn't gone back.

If we set up a show somehow and broadcast the witness message (even in a joking way) we lose this awesome argument and we might even make people curious enough to check out their beliefs themselves...

• wednesday
    wednesday

I think it would be easy to do one about jws. Kenny is good- i agree. Kenny can't celebrate birthdays, or go pep rallies,or salute the flag or associate with worldly kids, but still he's lonely and hangs around the kids. his family converts to being jws. imagine the fun with Bible studies and Kenny forced to attend 5 meetings a week, and well the blood issue is not funny but it would be great to see it on TV. we can throw in a child molester in works. . imagine Kenny tries to stop cursing. I think given some proper info they could write a great episode.

dude, you can't celebrate Christmas, what did you become a Jew or something- no offense of course if you did.

BTW here is the site and you can watch ever one of the episodes, 11 seasons worth if you want. the Scientology episode is the one about being "in the closet". http://www.southparkzone.com/episode_guide.php

weds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit