It's raining in South Australia

by penny2 16 Replies latest social current

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    Not to mention the thunderstorms...

I love thunderstorms too. I used to try to take pictures of lightning strikes, got a few but nothing really impressive.

I'd have to come during the wet, I don't do well in heat. You do have mountains with snow right?

I guess I should research this more, if I came that far I'd also want to stop in Thailand and maybe Cambodia. I want to see Ankor Watt and ruins and temples and stuff. I'd like to meet some Aborigines too, hear stories of the dream.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    see a few craters (meteor)

You're not planning a visit to Wolfe Creek are you?

• penny2
    penny2

Yes darkuncle, we do have mountains with snow also. It sounds like the perfect holiday destination, doesn't it!

• brinjen
    brinjen
    I'd have to come during the wet, I don't do well in heat.

That counts Northern Australia out then. Though the place does cool down a bit during the monsoon.. Dry season is the coolest here, last June us locals were wearing jumpers.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    That counts Northern Australia out then.

Not absolutely. I lived in Arizona for half a year as a child, that'w where my mom met the JWs. We lived in the mountains so it was warm, but not too hot. The valley-Pheonix and vicinity- I was just there last April, and it bordered on too warm for me, but we had AC in the cars so it was ok. I went 4x4 in the mountains in the cooler parts of the day. I've got great pics of mines and cacti, I'll post them to myspace sometime. I can survive heat if given warning and have supplies to adapt, but I prefer to avoid extremes of humidity or heat. I've found that if I wear ice baggies around my neck and keep my head cool, then I can do anything.

• penny2
    penny2

People do actually die in the heat in Australia, so it's not to be taken lightly. Usually tourists who get lost in the outback and are unprepared - or their vehicle breaks down.

Where I live, most houses and cars have airconditioning so you are never far from relief.

• brinjen
    brinjen

It's the humidity that gets most people here in Darwin, the temp rarely gets above 35C (though it does get hotter inland). The upside, the hotter it is during the day, the more chance there will be a thunderstorm!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit