It's raining in South Australia

by penny2 16 Replies latest social current

• penny2
    penny2

We haven't had much rain this year and are living with severe water restrictions.

Yesterday it started raining. I live near the capital city, Adelaide - we received 30.6mm in 24 hours. That's more than the average rainfall for the whole month of December.

Just now it started raining again. It's just a beautiful day - maximum 20 degrees Celsius where I live and not too much wind.

We may see a bit of green in our lawns yet!

• penny2
    penny2

I guess I should have had a more imaginative heading, such as:

RAIN IS LIKE SEX......you take it for granted unless you're not getting any.

penny

• brinjen
    brinjen

This is the rain radar, 256km radius from Adelaide during the last 24 hours. Good to see the drought may be starting to break!

alt

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR64D.shtml

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I'm excited about the rain....I was like a cave man wooooo rain gooood!!!

• penny2
    penny2

Thanks Brin for posting that!

Witness 007, it is very exciting getting the rain. Maybe you need to be an Aussie to get that excited. You've been doing a rain dance, haven't you!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Question for you Aussies: What months are considered the rainy season? Is it different for various parts of AU? I've seen Discovery channel shows about the rainy season --I think its up north where all the crocodiles are-- anyway, it was a woodsy savanah type area, that floods for months at a time.

If I ever come to AU, I'd want to come in the wet when things in naturea are alive. Go see Tea Tree plantations/forrests, visit the dolphins on the west coast, see a few craters (meteor), go boating on the Great Reef.

Anyway, thanks just curious.

• JK666
    JK666

I wish we had summer now, rain or no rain!

JK of the northern hemisphere class

• brinjen
    brinjen

Northern Australia is going through the build up to the wet season now. I recommend visiting Darwin during the wet because, like you said, that's when the place comes alive. You can sit in your back yard and listen to the frogs every night... Not to mention the thunderstorms...

alt

Southern Australia gets most of their rain during the winter months, we don't get winter here, just two season - dry & wet.

• penny2
    penny2
    What months are considered the rainy season?

You're thinking of the tropical north - most of the rain falls in December to March.

I live in the South - it's very dry. Average total rainfall for the year is 565mm. It rains mostly in winter - June to August. Summers are very hot - we've already had temperatures in the high 30's Celsius. We had 11 days of above 30 degrees C in November (and that's officially still spring). Not unpleasant though - especially if you are at the beach.

• penny2
    penny2
    I wish we had summer now, rain or no rain!

JK, our winters are mostly quite mild too. Perfect really!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit