Our Fine Feathered Friends in the Backyard!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest social physical

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

mmmmmmmm KFC

• Apostate Brother
    Apostate Brother

Not many Bald eagles around here.

Plenty of bald clones!

You complete me!

AB-Eagles are tasty!

• onacruse
    onacruse

I saw a pileated woodpecker just this morning! Fairly rare around here.

We're expecting the Alaskan robins to make their brief showing.

And we have some nuthatches that are playing around pretty regular, keeping an eye on those nesting boxes that we set up a couple of months ago.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Just a quick note, last early spring we had the robins stop by on our street on their way up north.....about 200 of them. They were bathing in puddles in the street. What a sight to behold!

For some reason I cannot get links for the Whooping cranes that marched around our pool. Sorry just google them. We actually have a street in our city named after them. I believe they are endangered. Take a look if you have the time.

r.

• Gregor
    Gregor

We have most all of the above around our backyard feeder. One of my faves is the Northern Flicker.

The other day I was looking out the kitchen window and saw a barrel chested tit sucker. Turned out it was just my reflection.

I have been putting out suet for them. They love it in the cold weather.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I must stand corrected on my calling the large woodpecker that I posted a pileated woodpecker. It is not. After looking at many more pictures yesterday of the bird - he is actually a 'Red Bellied Woodpecker'. I had rejected the name previously due to the fact that there seems to be no red at all on the underside of the bird. But he has come back enough that I have been curious as to whether I had identified him correctly.

Red Bellied Woodpecker. They are beautiful. This one does seem to have a little red underside - but definately not it's primary feature.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit