Things I Don't Get About Christmas

by Swan 16 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Hey Swan. Yea, I can relate. We did Christmas when I was little but the 35 year lapse leaves me a little outta sycn with the whole deal.

Kind alike a cowboy takin' high tea with the ladies it is for me... I can hold my pinkie out, but my my boots are never clean enough.

~Hill

• Swan
    Swan
    Kind alike a cowboy takin' high tea with the ladies it is for me... I can hold my pinkie out, but my my boots are never clean enough.

Yep!

Tammy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I found as an ex-jw that it was quite liberating. I can pick and choose what things I do for Christmas. I don't have family traditions I need to uphold. I don't do the frantic mall " got to find a sweater for cousin Emily thing" . I like to decorate and cook - so I do. I If you don't like office Christmas stuff - don't do it. I also buy a gift for a child in foster care. I also contribute to the Salvation Army guys. If that's all you want to do for Christmas, then just do that. Christmas is what you make of it, no more, no less. "Let there be peace on earth, and let it start with me"

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hi Swan....One of your statements struck home big time

Today we had a luncheon where all of our managers cooked homemade pasta and served it to the employees. These are the same managers that treat us like crap the rest of the year

I worked at a law firm where the accounting department cooked all night for the legal secretaries the night before our last day before the holidays. The rest of the year they made our lives miserable. The food was great, but we secretly hated them all. This is not what Christmas is about.

Its about your kids, and your family and real friends old and new. Some people go through the motions (business affiliations) and then there is the real meaning of gathering your most loved around you, and remembering those most loved that can't be with you.

Take care and Merry Christmas!

r.

• Swan
    Swan

LisaRose,

That is a great approach to the Holidays. My husband and I have ham and cheese omelettes on Christmas morning. The ham is left over from our big Christmas dinner, which we have on Christmas Eve, the night before. It is our tradition. I'm sure some might think it strange to have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve though.

Tammy

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose
    stop you're fussing and make it mean what you want it to!

Amen, brother!

• Swan
    Swan

I worked at a law firm where the accounting department cooked all night for the legal secretaries the night before our last day before the holidays. The rest of the year they made our lives miserable. The food was great, but we secretly hated them all. This is not what Christmas is about.

Its about your kids, and your family and real friends old and new. Some people go through the motions (business affiliations) and then there is the real meaning of gathering your most loved around you, and remembering those most loved that can't be with you.

Yes, I think gifts like this are really disingenuous and I personally find them offensive. I also think that when you have an almost adversarial atmosphere with your bosses with complaints to the union and the state labor office, it would be hypocritical of me to eat their food. I would much rather spend my holiday energy doing good things for others; family and friends are at the top of the list.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit