A Party For The Elders

by Mrs. Witness 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

At the risk of outing myself and my hubby, I just had to run this by everyone to see if it was just me...

Last night I attended a function that the women of hubby's hell put together to honor their BOE. There was much food and they put the guys up on a stage and played "name that elder" and then interviewed each one. The MC of the event gave deep commentary regarding his feelings of each of the elders.

I thought the elders weren't special...that they were just regular joes with more responsibility...certainly not guys that should be lauded for doing what they have been given the "priviledge" of doing...

Am I wrong?

Actually, I was rather ill by the time it was all said and done. Also, it occurred to me that the timing of the event was suspect...a dinner to "give thanks" during November...sounds like Thanksgiving replacement to me.

Comments?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Kind of weird to me. So much for being slaves and workers. Did they pass out watches too?

momzcrazy

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It's not an official thing, Mrs. Witness.

Since they don't celebrate anything else, they are always looking to for corny stuff to do.

If they can make it part of something "theocratic", so much the better.

• BIG D
    BIG D

yes very odd, what happened to humble servants?

big d

• Gopher
    Gopher

It'd have been better if they put together a party to honor hardworking single parents or those with unbeliieving mates. Oh, wait, never mind -- those kind never get invited to JW parties anyhow.

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

They stopped short of giving gifts, but there was a nice skit put on by the ladies of the hell, sort of like, "A Day in the Life of the Elderettes"...or "What it would be like if women were allowed to be elders". It was disgusting...they were joking about the meetings being late because they'd be shopping and one woman came on stage with a giant bottle of "Midol" and was crying alot like she had the worst case of PMS in the world. Every stereotype you can think of for a woman, they showed it. I wanted to yell at them!

Then one old elder with a foot in the grave told the "young ones" to stay away from the world and started talking about "bad associations". I put my hands over my daughter's ears!!!

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

This UBM got invited!! It's been awhile since I attended a function and I got love-bombed. It was funny.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

So right Gopher. Thanks.

momz

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My mother described a party that honored elders and their wives. She found the whole thing
    ultra weird.

If an elder had the cajones, he would refuse to participate in such a party. If he were blind-sided
    and didn't truly know what was going to happen, he should say something on the spot.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Isn't honoring a person over God, Idolatry?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit