Radical Apostasy v Liberal Apostasy

by diamondblue1974 41 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

In the wake of the 'Dannygate' issue it made me think about the impact of apostasy and it various forms and on some level how it equates to the feminist movement and its development over the years.

Initially, The Radical Feminist movement were and are the typical man hating, bra burning cross section who undoubtedly moved womens rights foward significantly and to some degree still do. Without the Radical feminist movement, the likelihood of the liberal and more balanced feminist movements ever existing would have been uncertain if not improbable. So indirectly the feminist movement owes a lot to those radicals who were out there burning bra's and linching men (I was joking about the last bit). This is because without them, womens rights would not have been such a high profile issue and change would not have occured paving the way for more liberal movements.

Similarly however we have Radical Apostates such as Danny who (despite his recent abhorent behaviour) are prepared to push boundaries and be seen in the public eye. The placade carrying, scripture shouting, watchtower burning apostates whilst to some might appear over the top, they have had a valid contribution to raising what are considered to be 'apostate' issues to the forefront of minds of insiders and those on the outside. Without them, I believe that the more liberal apostates who are working in more subtle fashions would not have seen the light of day and as such no real support would be on offer to those who are exiting.

Whilst I hate the term apostate, I use it for ease of reference.

What are your views? What kind of apostate would you suggest you are and where do you think the future lies for both movements?

Gary /|\

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im an activist apostate, I have picketed, I have emailed news agencies, I have left flyers in public places. I will work and put forth the effort to bury this cult.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Here's something I posted the other day.

It should make my position clear.

I'm a big believer in ' one catching more flies with honey than vinegar'.

I learned it in business, and it seems to work in every aspect of life.

If a religious br-

[Page 319 U.S. 141, 150]

lief has substance, it can survive criticism, heated and abusive though it may be, with the aid of truth and reason alone. By the same method those who follow false prophets are exposed. Repression has no place in this country. It is our proud achievement to have demonstrated that unity and strength are best accomplished, not by enforced orthodoxy of views, but by diversity of opinion through the fullest possible measure of freedom of conscience and thought.

Our battle, IMHO, is not to keep Jehovah's Witnesses from the doors of our homes or businesses.

Rather, it is educate all, ourselves first and foremost, about the destructive nature of all oppressive belief systems.

Education and awareness will continue to weaken the grip that dogma, of any flavor, has on humanity.

Peace and love and all that.

• changeling
    changeling

Living a good and happy life is the best "revenge". It blows their minds, as they don't think happiness is possible outside of their bubble.

As for helping others come out: I feel they don't come out till their ready. If you "get in their face", or always harp on the negatives of the org. you make most of them run for the hills.

Being a good example and being there when they start to question is my way.

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

That's funny, I just realized I'm politically liberal yet "apostately" conservative!

I'm soooo complex!

changeling

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If they destroy just about every chance you have of living a good life, then it all seems moot to me. Take away alcohol, pot,pain pills, psch meds, and most XJW's wouldnt be living a good life.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    If they destroy just about every chance you have of living a good life, then it all seems moot to me.

If that's your real age in your profile, j-g, you still have a good shot at a good life.

It starts with deciding to change from a victim to a survivor.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I am a survivor, if I wasnt then I would have killed myself or be in a mental institution by now. I have survived through life without ever turning to drugs or alcohol to mask the pain. I have never been arrested, never been drunk, but I still feel the pain and the aftereffects of my JW involvement, my current marriage being one of them.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Great thread diamondblue1974!

I'd call myself a liberal apostate, most on this board are imho.

where do you think the future lies for both movements?

I don't think radical apostacy is the way to go. Without going into the rights of inviduals the WTBTS is too geared up for them. They are the ones who can often scare a doubting witness back to the society. I personally think you can get a lot further by simply politely pointing out a few facts. Don't shove it down their throat, that's what the society does. Leave them with a few thoughts to ponder over. I think utimately if anything can bring down the tower, that's the way to do it.

• Xena
    Xena

Interesting. As a liberal apostate I tend to feel that radical apostates potentially undermine the gains achieved by those working in a more subtle manner due to the backlash they invite. While they may bring the subject up in a manner that is difficult to ignore they also can generate very negative emotions, feeding into the type of image used by the WT as a scare tactic. Thereby voiding out almost any positive impact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit