The Watchtower's Official Response to the UN Scand

by Kent 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Kent,
    So according to Gillies, the WTS was willing to sell out on its principles of neutrality for the price of a library card? Sounds like a pot of red lentils to me?
    And just what mysterious volumes does the UN library contain that the NY Public Library, Library of Congress and, latterly, the internet, don't have and are worth the price of compromise with the Devil's own creation?
    ``Faithful?"" To whoime?
    ``Discreet'' Dont' kid me!

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

```````copied and pasted from Kent's Website`````````

Here is the official response from the Watchtower to the UN Scandal. Paul Gillies did send this letter to The Guardian:

To: letters

Subject: Jehovah's Witnesses and the United Nations

Dear Sir,

In response to two articles by Stephen Bates, religious affairs correspondent for The Guardian, I should be grateful to have the attached letter published.

sincerely,

Paul Gillies
    Press Officer for Jehovah's Witnesses in Britain

October 22, 2001
    Letters Editor
    The Guardian
    e-mail: [email protected]

Dear Sir,

Stephen Bates' articles in The Guardian of October 8 and 15 substantially misrepresents the background to Jehovah’s Witnesses registration with the United Nations and contains a number of fac-tual errors.

In 1991 one of our legal corporations registered with the United Nations as a NGO (non-governmental organization) for the sole purpose of getting access to the extensive library of the United Nations. This enabled a writer who received an identification card, to enter their library for research purposes and to obtain information that has been used in writing articles in our journals about the United Nations. There was nothing secret about it.
    At the time of the initial application no signature was required on the form. Years later, unbe-known to the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the United Nations published “Criteria for As-sociation”, stipulating that affiliated NGO’s are required to support the goals of the United Nations.
    After learning of the situation, our membership as NGO was withdrawn and the ID card of the writer was returned.

Sincerely,

Paul Gillies
    Press Officer for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Britain

P.S. Please do not publish my e-mail address.

``````````````

I seriously seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that the WT became part of the UN "for the sole purpose of getting access to the extensive library of the United Nations." What a load of horse manure! This is why they went from hating the government to promoting the UN in their literature? Come on - give me more credit that that! It's the LEGAL department for heaven's sake! If the LEGAL department was not aware - then they need a NEW LEGAL department because this one is incompetent! And of course, JW's everywhere will beleive this hogwash. Lie's make bad situations so easy to get out of, don't they?

• ttwho
    ttwho

lies,lies and more lies,
    I'm looking at a scanned document from the UN DPI that I downloaded from watchtower observer, entitiled "Forty Four organisations granted association status with DPI" and the last paragraph mentions support of the UN carter, this document is dated 7 august 1992, so how can the say "some years later the criteria changed

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks Kent,

Listen people a lot of this was talked about yesterday on the other big thread. You may wish to review those comments too.

ttwho
    The 1992 press releases are on Kent's site, Randy's site and on the thread dealing with the UN letter and Press releases. I have also made you aware of the 1968 ECOSOC Resolutions 1296 and 1297 and why they are important too wrt to criteria. The resolutions and 1992 press releases are killers when it comes to criteria. Also keep in mind what Paul Hoeffel said in his official UN letter about they must agree to the criteria before joining.

hawk

• Kent
    Kent

Well, HELP ENGLAND'S ARMENIAN COMMUNITY , that's one of the things the Watchtower in England wants you to do - and it's also interesting to compare that statement with why they became an NGO.

-- Jehovah's Witnesses
    Public Affairs Office
    Watch Tower House
    The Ridgeway
    London NW7 1RN
    Tel: 020 8906 2211
    Fax: 020 8371 0051
    E-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.disc.co.uk/standfirm/

http://www.anca.org/anca/actionalerts.asp?aaID=16

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Thanks Kent! More garbage! Here is mrore I copied and pasted:

`````````

HELP ENGLAND'S ARMENIAN COMMUNITY STOP THE EXCLUSION OF THE GENOCIDE FROM HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE DAY

An action alert circulated by the Committee for the Recognition of the Armenian Genocide
    [email protected]
    London, England (12/13/2000)

Current Status
    England's Armenian community needs your help.

January 27th has been set aside by the British government as Britain's first Holocaust Memorial Day.

The official purpose of this commemoration is to "promote education and research about the Holocaust and other genocide... to make sure that the lessons of such events are fully learnt."

As a matter of policy, however, our Government has chosen to exclude any mention of the 1.5 million men, women and children killed in the Armenian Genocide.

The reasons cited by the British Government for not including the Armenian Genocide were that its mention would somehow detract from the "contemporary relevance" of the commemoration and risk diluting its message by including "too much history."

Last Updated: 1/30/01
    What You Can Do
    Contact the Holocaust Memorial Day organizers, members of the Steering Committee, and others involved in the planning of this commemoration.

A sample letter that you can "cut and paste" is provided below, though it would be more appropriate and have more impact if you write your own letter. If you prefer to communicate by telephone, a sample phone script is provided.

(Send a note to [email protected] to tell us what actions you have taken and to inform us of any responses that you
    have received.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Organizations to Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The official website for UK's Holocaust Memorial Day is: www.holocaustmemorialday.gov.uk

Please visit this site and send a letter to the organizers of this commemoration.

2) Contact the official government departments involved in this issue:

(there are numerous other organizations listed)

2) Contact the following non-governmental organizations involved
    in this issue:

(there are numerous other organizations listed before the JW's)

-- Jehovah's Witnesses
    Public Affairs Office
    Watch Tower House
    The Ridgeway
    London NW7 1RN
    Tel: 020 8906 2211
    Fax: 020 8371 0051
    E-mail: [email protected]
    www.disc.co.uk/standfirm/

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I alluded to this in a previous post (about 2 weeks ago). I figured they would take the "Mata Hari" defence some how.
    Got to get up close to spy- maybe even "get a little" . OK, if you don't "enjoy" it.

Library---HMMMN, NYC and the whole East Coast has some of the biggest archives in the world within driving distance of NYC. I bet dollars to donuts the UN has nothing that unique in it's repository of knowlege that can't be found elsewere.

Giles is just point man for the typical load of WT drivel. The more they explain the worse it gets.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    for the sole purpose of getting access to the extensive library of the United Nations.

"Library Card" my ass!

What books does the "extensive" UN library possess that are not available from the New York Public Library or the Library of Congress in Washington DC?

Neither the NYPL or the LoC require anything that amounts to a loyalty oath.

At the time of the initial application no signature was required on the form.

...don't we have a copy of the UN application with a *signature* on it? What is the date of that signed document?

As always, Kent - YOU ROCK, DUDE!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I agree the more they open their mouth, the more they step in it. Error's in Steves report? Well what were the errors and more importantly show us the forms that you guys filled out and the letter you got back from the DPI committee in 1992 congratulating the WTS on its "accreditation".

Library card is actually an "OFFICIAL UNITED NATIONS PASS" that requires security clearance and signing in.

Listen go to the other thread to Steve Bates reponse to this letter.

hawk

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

This is just so laughable!!! The WTS says:

"This enabled a writer who received an identification card, to enter their library for research purposes and to obtain information that has been used in writing articles in our journals about the United Nations. There was nothing secret about it".

Simple question:

Why did the WTS want to write positive articles praising the UNs humanitarian efforts in the first place? Is it because:

Has the WTS changed their stand on the UN and its beastly qualities?

Has God changed his mind about what the demise of the UN will be?

And all they can come up with as weak excuses are:

"...for the sole purpose of getting access to the extensive library of the United Nations." AND "At the time of the initial application no signature was required on the form....unbe-known to the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses the United Nations published “Criteria for As-sociation”,"

....unbelievable!!! [>:(] What a load of crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit