Ignorant Elder Comments

by El Kabong 32 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I don't know if this was discussed here before, but, what is the most ignorant comment you ever heard an elder say.

I once had an elder say to me that my brother, who was at the time fighting in Vietnam will be destroyed and killed over in 'nam because he did not accept "Jehovah"!!!! I promptly told him to go "F" himself.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I told a Judicial Committee that I had had a miscarriage and an old elder (at least 80) said "That's an abortion!!! You just killed a child!!!" It took the other two elders 10 minutes to convince him that miscarriages do occur in nature.

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

El Kabong

Isn't it obvious that amongst elders we find quite a number of besserwissers with unlimited imagination?

Proper preparation & planning prevents piss poor performance - Awul Dasfilshabeda and Nowaynayda Zheet

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Concerning why it's OK for God to destroy young children at Armageddon:

"Little rats grow up into big rats."

Expatbrit

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

So sorry dungie! What an azz! And these people sit and judge you and deem wether you are bird food or not at your next local elders meeting! What a crock!

One of my best friends had one to many one night to drink and ended up smoking a cigarette. An elder in her JC meeting told her they could all tell she was repentant. She was dismissed and came back to hear the verdict "DFing due to unrepantance!" Huh?

• Seeker
    Seeker

One elder told a married couple at their Hall that if they wanted to have children, they'd better hurry up and do so because there wouldn't be any children born in the New System. No, I don't know why he thought this, but the couple believed him and promptly had a child. Ironically, they are probably glad about it now, so it turned out well, but it was one of the most stupid things I ever heard. Causing major life decisions over stupid ideas.

MrMoe, having been in a few JCs, I can guess what happened to your friend. That elder really did think she was repentant and spoke for the rest. After she left, the other two told him in no uncertain terms that they did NOT think she was repentant, and browbeat him until he agreed to change his mind to make the decision unanimous.

• crittersitter
    crittersitter

when i was 18, just back from living on the hopi res. in arizona ( after graduation in 1975!!!) i was paid a visit from an elder who was told i was dabbling in spiritism, due to my collection of native american art( i painted alot of myself..graet granny was N.A.)
    any how a JC meeting was set up..i had NO idea that"s was what was to take place. this bozo elder sat in my apaertment dining room( gasp..i was alone too!!!!) waiting for the rest of the "boyz" to show up....
    well they never did make it over for this so called meeting. but my mom was talked to about my "activities" as i had a worldly room-mate and had all this evil native american indian stuff all over my apartment.
    i was 18..on my own, what was she gonna do ..whoop me? i was rebellious in my own right, but even my devout mother thought this was silly, as she loved my art and welcomed a diversion from our mundane new england existance
    any how, there is more stupid elder stuff some where in my brain, when i come across it i'll post..lol
    critter( indian princess class)

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Dungbeetle, sorry you went through that. *hug*

When I had a nervous breakdown after my second miscarriage within 2 years, my husband at the time begged the elders to come and encourage me.

Three weeks later, they showed up. Their idea of "encouragement" was to try to make sure I understood that my baby wasn't a person to God who would get a future life in the new system. they read me some scripture in Job where Job said it would have been better if he'd never been born, 'like a hidden miscarriage' or child who never saw the light, or some stupid ass thing. I remember thinking...okay...you say abortion is murder, but my babies die and that doesn't mean anything to God? This loving god who is supposed to keep track even when a bird dies?

That was the beginning of the questions and the end of my faith in the Watchtower.

One question though...truthfully, when giving WT sanctioned councel/advice/encouragement, can an elder be anything BUT ignorant? Because those that make the rules are the most ignorant of all.

Any honest elders who have a brain in their heads and a true heart beating in their chests leave the organization.

We're priveleged to know many such gentlemen here :)

ah. memories.
    es

• patio34
    patio34

There was one who made a comment based on his own hurried understanding of the WTS. We were discussing a couple who had had sexual relations. He said "In Jehovah's eyes, they are already married."

I believe he was thinking of the WT position that a divorced couple were still married in God's eyes if there was no adultery.

But this elder often made comments like that.

Pat

• Buttercup
    Buttercup

Seeker,
    I know that's what happened on my JC. One nice guy said that my letter should be sufficient to consider me da'd and that they wouldn't take further action. He didn't realize how much power my Father in law had and I know that they got him into the back room and set him straight.

They df'd me a week later, and I only heard that from my ex husband. They never notified me in writing, as I asked them to.

I feel so sorry for any guy who is trying to be a good man and a "good" elder. It must be hell on earth.

*hugs*
    essie
    past her post limit for the day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit