At the Specail Assambly Day

by Hermano 27 Replies latest jw friends

• eclipse
    eclipse
    Even and adult shouldn't have to commit under duress. And why would we serve a God who would kill a little girl just because she is not baptized? What the hell kind of sense does that make?

Exactly.

You're a stronger person than I to be able to sit through that sh!t.

• sparrow
    sparrow

reading this - I'm glad I'm DF'd.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another attempt to stop mass exodus when the inevitable happens. It's only a matter of time now before the pedophile scandals are going to hit the newspapers and Time magazine, and the Tower wants its members to think of it all as lies. They can start getting court orders to force ex-members to start "honoring the contract of baptism", even ordering them what to say and how and when, and still dodge the embarrassment that would result if they will not believe it. (Yet, I bet they will get really harsh if one such person were to actually rat them out ).

A little girl getting baptized because of fear of getting destroyed at Armageddon if she doesn't? This is only going to create serious problems later. They have no right to use threat of initiatory force (i.e., destruction at Armageddon) to get people that young (or for that matter, anyone) to join and/or stay in the organization. That's one ruined childhood. There is a good chance she will get disfellowshipped before hitting age 30; even in not, her life is going to be a mess of fear, stagnation, and following orders.

To compare, I joined a program (which tends to objectivism) last year. In there, there is no mention of its being a requirement to join in order to survive. No one is coerced to join or stay, or to be active once in. In fact, the sole rule governing the whole paradigm is the prohibition of use of initiatory force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property (this is similar to Ayn Rand's philosophy; Aristotle and Socrates came up with it originally). Independent thinking is strongly encouraged there, and they invite people to check critical sites and material just to have the opportunity to examine it before getting in. And I have seen a few people (notably, most have not looked very much into it) call that a scam. Independent thinking encouraged--that would be death to any cult. If people call that a scam, then what would they think about an organization that not only permits initiatory force, threat of force, and fraud; they use it! And they as good as ban independent thinking--if I would encourage being familiar with all sides of an Aristotelian program that encourages independent thinking and bans initiatory force, threat of force, or fraud, then how the [a swear word] would a little girl benefit from an organization that is built on initiatory fraud?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

A little girl getting baptized because of fear of getting destroyed at Armageddon if she doesn't? This is only going to create serious problems later. They have no right to use threat of initiatory force (i.e., destruction at Armageddon) to get people that young (or for that matter, anyone) to join and/or stay in the organization. That's one ruined childhood. There is a good chance she will get disfellowshipped before hitting age 30; even in not, her life is going to be a mess of fear, stagnation, and following orders.

I totally agree. I've seen a lot of 5 and 6 year olds get baptized when I was in the midwest. None of them made it past 16 without getting DF'd. My nephew wanted to get baptized when he was 7 but my sister told him he was too young, but got baptized at 9 upon my sister and husband receiving counsel from the CO about not holding their children back. Anyway, I've always thought anyone that young has no idea what they are doing. I think they just like the attention they will get from getting baptized.

• ush419
    ush419

witless, you are so right it's fear, fear of this, fear of that, fear of displeasing brother and sister some if we don't wear the right clothing etc., fear of being marked for having an opinion. Fear of the elders. It is just a religion (and not a very good one) that is totally based on fear.

• ush419
    ush419

Infant/young child baptism = infant/young child molestation of the mind., talk about capturing young minds and totally inculcating them in the borg.!! I have told my children if they want to get baptized in whatever religion at least wait until you are the same age as Jesus was "30" that way you will be mature enough to make sure this is what you want; and if nothing else you will be an adult and hopefully making an adult decision. Don't let a publishing company capture you!!!!1

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    They said we should not beleive everything in the newspaper and when articles are published about the JW's it is often lies with the intent to mislead

If these accusations/stories aren't true then why don't they sue the Newspaper? They make full use of the legal system in other matters so why don't they use it in instances like this?

They've got something to hide alright.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I can't believe no one has commented on my experience with the attendant. Has no one had a similar experience? It was well past 2 PM, he saw that I was on my laptop, did he really think that maybe I did not know that the session was in progress?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit