by LennyinBluemont 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Clam
    Clam

Cheers Lenny - That's a keeper.

Clam

• Gill
    Gill

Lenny - Thanks!

However, since 'insurance' is a business and not a charity I must assume that the WTBTS pays taxes on its insurance business......or would I be wrong?

Does this also mean that each and every publisher is insured by the WTBTS? Can they claim against the WTBTS if they have an accident at the KH or on the way or is the general public insured 'against' any damage done by publishers?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Very nicely done, LennyinB. We need to be compiling more threads like this where we break down and catalog the info from the court documents.

S4

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

BTT I want to keep this at the top for people to add. I haven't been able to get into the CD and so this is very helpful.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s are being billed $4:50 "Each" to pay for Pedophiles???..LOL!!..Thats just OUTRAGEOUS!!!!..Does anyone know if thats "Per Month" or "Per Year"?...OUTLAW

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

such a shame.

• sir82
    sir82

I believe it is $4.50 per publisher per year. The congregation can pay it all at once or in monthly installments.

I seem to recall when the arrangement first came out, I was accounts servant, and had to explain it to the congregation in a service meeting part. I distinctly remember being forcefully told NOT to refer to the KHAA as an "insurance" program.

• Warren
    Warren

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me the source for the claim of a 3 year waiting period? I've been to the Silent Lambs website and read a letter from the Society that mentions a 20 year waiting period. I've never heard of a 3 year waiting period. An elder guilty of adultery can't be re-appointed for 10 years. I find it hard to believe a child molestor would have less of a penalty. I don't think a person that has molested a child should ever have a position in the congregation.

Best regards,

Warren

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Regarding the KHAA:

I was accounts servant, and had to explain it to the congregation in a service meeting part. I distinctly remember being forcefully told NOT to refer to the KHAA as an "insurance" program.

Sir82 is technically correct. My understanding is that the KHAA is what is referred to as a self insured trust. This trust is a method of financing risk and is typically used by large corporations. There are advantages and disadvantages to this structure and typically (but not always) there will be an insurance policy of some sort sitting above the trust. Its quite difficult for religious organizations of any size to buy sexual molestation coverage due to all the lawsuits in recent years. The intent is to "assist" kingdom halls with their liability and also property claims. I do know that the legal department will issue a certificate of insurance on behalf of congregations when necessary (like when a group of congregations rent a building for a CA/SAD or memorial). Still there duties that insurance companies have that the WTS doesn't take on by financing their risk via a trust as opposed to forming a captive insurance company. Anyway, the unction is still the same to pay claims.

However, since 'insurance' is a business and lot a charity I must assume that the WTBTS pays taxes on its insurance business......or would I be wrong?

They don't pay taxes because its technically not an insurance company (one of the advantages of running it as a trust)

Does this also mean that each and every publisher is insured by the WTBTS? Can they claim against the WTBTS if they have an accident at the KH or on the way or is the general public insured 'against' any damage done by publishers?

I seem to remember a case a few years ago in FL ?? where there was an auto accident out in service and the plaintiff dragged the WTS in. I believe the WTS got themselves dismissed because they said the publishers were acting on their own speaking to their neighbors about the Bible (which is a load of crap because the WTS provides the materials, methods, assigns territory to congos, etc). With that being said, had the WTS been found liable for the actions of a member of the congregation (more likely that it would involve elders, MS & pioneers since they are "appointed" by the WTS not by the local congregation), then yes the KHAA is where the money would come from. Although I don't have first hand information, I'd bet my house that's where the settlement money came from.

I know of situations where there was a claim involving a person who fell on KH property and they were going to bring action against the congregation. There is a form that each congregation has to complete and send to the legal department when something happens at the KH. Pretty standard stuff for a large corporation with mulitple locations.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think what all this scheming boils down is the objective of evading the payment of compensations to victims something they finally failed to achieve.

It shows how the WTS is a self serving org, especially that two witness rule which makes it impossible to catch any pedophile and therefore put the WTS at risk of paying out money.

They really know how to twist the Bible to their ends. If the courts thought that way no pedo would ever get condemned since they are usually smart enough not to strike with witnesses around.

Did they ever DF anyone for making child abuse accusations without the required two witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit