Japan closes 638 Congregations!!!!! Why???

by Witness 007 67 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom
    Fads are big in Asia - they come and go quite quickly.

Agreed!

As I mentioned in my previous post, the surge in growth in the 80's thru mid-90's was partly due to a trend. The "IN" thing among the youth in Japan at that time was the Bible. Of course the Japanese housewife syndrome also had a role in it. That factor plus their children equates to outstanding growth. But by and large, the youth culture in the JW was intact during that bubble growth period. Teens and young adults ran with the pioneer spirit.

It was the thing to do. It was "IN", not only among JWs, but also from the cultural standpoint. Knowing the Bible and/or having exposure to it kept the JW organization in Japan going full thrust at that time. Remember, with youth there is energy!

That has now since been dying off. The trend of being hip with Bible knowledge is now streaming along on another tangent. And the youth JW of Japan are going wherever the river of fads flows. And it sure isn't flowing toward Ebina Japan where the branch office is located. Yes, the branch office is the mecca for JWs living in Japan.

My reason for knowing. Well, I'm very familiar with Japan and the Japanese culture. Extremely familiar. If I were to relate anymore about it, it certainly will blow by cover as I'm still trying to remain anonymous in the meantime.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Does anyone have the 2005 & 2006 numbers handy so we can compare them to 1998 & 2004?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

New figures; Japan- 2004 Pubs. 217,555 Congs. 3,164

2005 Pubs 218,262 Congs. 3,164 {+ 707 Publishers}

2006 Pubs 217,519 Congs. 3,164 { - 743 Publishers}

Average hours per Pub. 31

Average hours world Pub. 17

The figures haven't changed at all! One decade of decline for Japan even though they spend alot of hours preaching.

• still_in74
    still_in74

S4 said

I know I was really disturbed by the 1914 generation thing, and when I found the Internet and ex-JW sites accessible from the local library, I was on my way out real fast! There are lots of us here like that

Have any actuaries here actually put numbers together pertaining to the advent of the internet and the changing 1914 generation teaching?

It would be interesting to see what stories the nembers tell and would certainly shed light on why the WTS is so fearful of the net.

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

Japan has had a very low birthrate for a number of years.

no bambinos, means little growth for JWs who get most of their growth

through natural birth increases.

• steve2
    steve2
    Even though Japan and Sth Korea are all wired up, the English language internet is barely a blimp on their screen. They have more than enough sites/information of their own to bother trying to fathom the English sites - so any impact from the internet will depend on what is available in their own language. Other issues that run counter to JW's are: the economy, a competative education system ( and a need for formal education to get a well paying job), a huge entertainment industry (and a fine line between entertainment and 'real' life) - linked to that are significant changes in sexual behaviour, a younger generation that are quite indulged and often tend to lack self discipline/direction (but will still have an education because it is very difficult to fail - usually), lack of parental supervision for kids from a relatively young age (always at some school or other and in the company of friends - can't avoid worldy association), consumer behaviour, acting as a group - be it joining or leaving. Fads are big in Asia - they come and go quite quickly.

Roski, your explanation for the stagnation among Japanese JWs is well thought out and compelling. I agree that the internet has had very little to do with the relative loss of interest in the JW message in Japan. The factors you mention are far more compelling. Thanks for your comments!

• steve2
    steve2

New figures; Japan- 2004 Pubs. 217,555 Congs. 3,164

2005 Pubs 218,262 Congs. 3,164 {+ 707 Publishers}

2006 Pubs 217,519 Congs. 3,164 { - 743 Publishers}

Average hours per Pub. 31

Average hours world Pub. 17

Does anyone have on hand the figures for, say, ten years ago?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

1991 - Pub 159,391 Congs 2,560

1992- Pubs 171,438 Congs 2,875

1993- Pubs

1994-Pubs 194,608 Congs 3,365

1995- Pubs 206,617 Congs 3,552

1996- Pubs 213,961 Cong 3,691

1997- Pubs 220,663 Cong 3,771

1998- Pubs 222,912 Cong 3,802

2000- Pubs 222,857 Cong 3,732 First ever drop in Pubs for Japan. Continue to drop upto 2007.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I remember when Japan was increasing so quickly in the early 70's. Now it is decreasing quickly - the WT Society doesn't adjust to the true needs/reality of people. That's why when I see some third-world countries increasing so much now, I think they will only decrease quickly at some point soon. The self-absorbed WT organization will not be there to truly help the reality of the poor JWs in third-world countries and their special needs (education & medical needs).

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

The many many gung-ho Japanese JW, in particular childless couples and single pioneers of both genders, have been moving from Japan to various areas in southeast Asia to help where the need is great.

The Japan branch in Ebina encompasses the entire southeast Asia region and this area is under their supervision. The branch office have been encouraging, as instructed by Brooklyn, for brothers and sisters to move where the need is great. Some who are still active on this board may remember a letter that was read to all congregations late summer last year. It highly recommended moving to somewhere where there is a dire need for Kingdom publishers. Of course, this is to be done at your own expense.

From the time that letter was read until today, I personally know 10 people in my circle of JW that I'm acquainted with, that had moved from Japan to other lands. All of them went to third world southeast Asian countries. From Thailand to Papa New Guinea to Cambodia.

This will also produce lower numbers in terms of publishers and congregations in the land of the rising sun.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit