Japan closes 638 Congregations!!!!! Why???

by Witness 007 67 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gregor
    Gregor

The lack of English speaking Japanese who are XJWs is an interesting challenge for us here at JWD. If we could find a way to communicate with these "brothers and sisters" it would be an extremely interesting case study of the decline of JWs that is obviously (from what I read here) in freefall.

There has been a lot of speculation on this thread as to why this is happening in Japan. I would realy like to hear from some who are there and living it.

• moshe
    moshe

Those 638 Congs were probably titled to the WTS and the property became very valuable, so those KH's were sold and the brothers forced to merge with the KH meeting across town in a rented room.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Selling off kingdom halls would not explain losing 5,300 publishers. That's about two large circuits that were wiped out.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

5,300 publishers. That's about two large circuits that were wiped out.

Nearer to 3 largish circuits 20 congos per circuit on average - 85 pubs per cong on average 1 largish circuit is 1700 pubs - so 3 would be 5400

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

http://www.jwic.com/home_e.htm

In answer to your question, rabbit:

Speaking of the Internet...does any one know if there are ex-JW boards like JWD there ?

Information & knowledge is the power that will knock the Towers down.

Long live the 'Net !

Rabbit

I'm sure there are others.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Lack of men

SNG, nice to see you online. I haven't seen your posts in a while

we used to have the same problem here not enough men so they'd merge two congos together.

• steve2
    steve2

I have the recipe for a perfect world:

More men and fewer JWs .

• still_in74
    still_in74
    YearPublishersCongregationspub/cong
    Difference5,357638-10

well do the math, the average cong has 10 more pubs each but there are 638 less cong's.
    5357 pubs at 59/cong = 90.79 cong's gone at 59 pubs each.
    Now take 222,912 and divide by 59=3778.17 (# of cong's based on aver. of 59 for 1998)Then take 217,555 and divide by 59=3687.4 (# of cong's based on aver. of 59 for 2004)

3687.4 + 90.79 = 3778.19 (aver. cong's for 2004 + 90.79 cong's worth of 5,357)

Aver cong's at 59 for 1998 subtract same for 2004 is:3778.19 - 3687.4 = 90.79 Congregations - which is exactly how many cong's at 59 pubs each 5357 ppl would represent.

Have you ever been in a KH with 59 pubs?? With an average weekly absenteeism of like 15% that hall would be tiny, consolidating cong's to bring the size up would make sense.

• Roski
    Roski

Even though Japan and Sth Korea are all wired up, the English language internet is barely a blimp on their screen. They have more than enough sites/information of their own to bother trying to fathom the English sites - so any impact from the internet will depend on what is available in their own language. Other issues that run counter to JW's are: the economy, a competative education system ( and a need for formal education to get a well paying job), a huge entertainment industry (and a fine line between entertainment and 'real' life) - linked to that are significant changes in sexual behaviour, a younger generation that are quite indulged and often tend to lack self discipline/direction (but will still have an education because it is very difficult to fail - usually), lack of parental supervision for kids from a relatively young age (always at some school or other and in the company of friends - can't avoid worldy association), consumer behaviour, acting as a group - be it joining or leaving. Fads are big in Asia - they come and go quite quickly.

• golf2
    golf2

I'm surprised no one quoted Matt. 24:13, "...and because of the increase of lawlessness the love of the GREATER number will cool off..."

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit