A funny thing happened on the way to the Hall...

by Uncertain 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

Somehow, I wound up at a local baptist church. Folks were friendly and welcoming, the hyms made musical and verbal sense (mostly, one was about praising his name but never actually used a name except Lord)) and the public talk (umm sermon) was taken from Luke 13-34 inclusive. There was no jumping to unconnected verses and no buzz words instead of logic. The pastor stopped by my pew and said hello before things started, not mentioning his role. I figured him for someone important because he was one of the few in tie and coat. Most of the men were in clean, neat street clothes, the women in modest skirts or pants (the minister's wife was in slacks !!!) and all were attentive and polite.

This service followed their Sunday school and lasted an hour and a half. And the kids (probably seven or eight year olds and up) were well-behaved. I'm not sure what variety of babtists, but their program mentioned a dance class being held at the church. I'm not looking at joining this church, but just entering it seemed awfully daring, which told me I should realize how much JW indoctrination has happened already

I hadn't intended to go visiting but I must have been more upset by the Watchtower Study than I thought. Or maybe the book study. I guess I have to figure out the nicest, firmest way to tell my study leader that I am less than convinced. I hate to have her spend too much more time with me, but I am still interested in the official stand on some stuff.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>I hate to have her spend too much more time with me, but I am still interested in the official stand on some stuff.

Just for interest's sake, ask the baptist minister what would happen if you joined his church, then said you disagreed with the church on a teaching. For instance, you think Hell is simply a disconnection from god and not an actual place of torment. Find out if your membership would then be revoked, would the other members be forced to shun you, etc.

Then ask the same question of your JW study conductor. What if you decided that blood transfusions were ok, or celebrating Christmas was ok?

After comparing their answers, I'll bet your "uncertainty" will fade!

Dave

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome to JWD!

Just wondering why to you want to trade one religion for another? Aren't they all a bunch a hooey?

changeling

• journey-on
    journey-on
    but their program mentioned a dance class

I thought Baptists didn't believe in dancing.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Some more strict baptist churches may not encourage dancing, but I went to a Baptist church where after two weddings I went to, there was dancing in the hall afterwards (church hall!) Not all allow it in the churches. Some churches still have that 'footloose' idea about dancing. I went to one church that was pretty hardcore on the issue, but most were pretty much leaving it up to people. I don't know of any who got expelled for dancing.

I have to say that very early in my normal churchgoing life, I went to a General Conf baptist church. Not very liberal, but not nazi like either. I had a friend,and we talked about everything. Martha went on about her upbringing, and some of the things she and her husband liked to do, she told me how they usually enjoy wine after dinner a couple of nights a week, they went to bars to hear some of the bands and dance (before they had their daughter-she was a little thing and they didn't go out much yet). In various conversations, she would mention some point that she differed with the preacher on, or something she wanted to read more about, because it was different than she had ever thought of, and we would sometimes discuss-even debate (!) what a scripture might mean. We both played pro and con on several issues, including the trinity-exploring, seeing where different trains of thought led us. It was a great friendship, intellectually stimulating(she had a masters in ECE, used to teach, and was an artist and poet. And she baked really good bread.) How much of that friendship could one have had with a witness-whether one or both people were JW? No respectful discussion or debate. No study. No disagreement with minister would be admitted to-or else one would be DF'd. Unless of course they repented of thinking, questioning, studying! I think that friend was one of my first/best teachers of Christian freedom, though I had experienced it before. She actually rented her house from the church! She didn't hide it. She might have been 'Mouthy's' daughter. She didn't hold back what she truly felt. She didn't interrupt the sermon, but she had no problems, and neither did the pastor, when she discussed why she differed in a viewpoint about some issue or another.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

changeling:

Just wondering why to you want to trade one religion for another? Aren't they all a bunch a hooey?

can I get an Amen? AMEN!... PRAISE THE .....oh, never mind...

SnakesInTheTower (of the "trying to leave one, not go to another" Sheep Class)

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

...yep, I drove right past it...while I was out working making lots and lots of filthy money.

Actually, my (?) congo is meeting in another KH while ours (?) undergoes major renovation. I happened to go right past where they are meeting at the timethey are meeting today..... hmmmm, car steering wheel seemed to be possessed, it refused to make a left turn into the parking lot. damnedest thing......

And the less I go, the less I want to go. Even when I do go, I dont want to. I figure I can bail a little while longer until they get back to the newly refurbished KH then go again...then fade again....back and forth at my leisure.

Snakes (.....)

• theMartian
    theMartian

Well now you can learn about the Sacred Mystery of the Catolic Trinity, the Eternal BBQ Pit, etc- and can commit to have a percentage of your paycheck (assuming you work) taken for church expenses- namely that smiling pastor's home & car...I'd be smilin too!

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

Snakes and Changeling I know, frying pan into the fire has crossed my mind. But I truly am interested in fellowshipping, I'd like to meet some folks in the community. Further, I began studying with the JWs because I was seeking the god (or God or godess or any combinations) I need to make sense out of this world. I know that not everyone is in need of such a support system.

I did pass the collection plate right on over, and I thought it was touching that it jingled. I guess the kids still put change in, I remember trying not to lose the quarter I was given for that purpose when I was a youngster (just after the dark ages). I am not looking forward to the "God loves a hilarious giver" sermon that I'm sure will come up in my adventures. Thes guys had the last week's take listed on the back of the program as well as the budget for the year and the take so far. Nothing about it from the platform, though.

Almost, interestingly, the salient points of the creed were listed on the web site so as to save argument. I don't remember the Wits teling me about 1914 or 1975 as easily. I'll initiate that discussion if I go back to that church, and maybe at others.

The old joke about why baptists don't believe in sex (it can lead to dancing) was why I mentioned the dance clas in the program. I'll go visiting elsewhere before I make any decisions, and keep on reporting, if you like. I was amazed at how uneasy I was, I didn't realize how seriously my study in WTBS was affecting me. I am relieved that the big cross on the back wall seemed to be firmly attached and empty. And, unlike the KH, there were no windows. But the ac was not set on deep-freeze as it usually is in the hall.

Now, do I try opening a dialog with my study leader or do I just say noncomittal things? Or do nothing yet, except to say I visited a (gasp) church. I don't know if I want to offer her any anti-truth or if that would not be a kindness. She is third-generation and married to an elder. What to do?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If it was that challenging for you - one who has not been a Jw officially yet - can you imagine how difficult it was for me? I was Jw for the first 48 years of my life - I have attended a few churches casually now - and it is getting easier - I too seek more fellowship than 'truth' - I don't think the latter exists within the walls of churches or the Kingdom Hall.

Thanx for sharing the experience - please report how it goes. As to the Bible study - why not pan for some gold here on JWD then try and bring some lightning into the study with a few well intentioned and honest questions? You might find that instead of being saved by Jw's, you save one yourself. Just a thought.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit