Changing the Watchtowers charitable status (UK)

by nicolaou 25 Replies latest jw friends

• hsmew
    hsmew

Tina,

It's a UK outfit called community action network. The link http://www.can-online.org.uk/ didn't work for me either. But I typed it directly into netscape and then it did. Not aware of any links to scientology.

hs.

• toddy
    toddy

Wasn't there a labour MP who called j.w's a bunch of lunatics?
    Prehaps sending him a letter might be an idea?

• hsmew
    hsmew

Conservative member for Suffolk Coastal, John Gummer: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,11-92864,00.html

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

It may be my shortcoming of english language but plain charity is something that was denied or avoided when I was a young JW some 40 years ago. Then several years ago I downloaded this famous guideline for elders (Pay Attention .....). Page 11 states: "Watch for opportunities to help others, even physically."

Page 12 goes to pinpoints concrete examples: "A pioneer has car trouble." Which I guess should read for Finland as: "A pioneer has central heating problem."

"An elderly widow needs help applying for social services." and "A single parent or a widow has a leaking roof." This is something that goes without saying from my point of view. Charity to me is something else than just giving help in an acute situation.

Proper preparation & planning prevents piss poor performance - Awul Dasfilshabeda and Nowaynayda Zheet

• Tina
    Tina

Hi hsew,
    My apologies. I was only familiar with the CAn=Cult Awareness network which is now basically run by a cult. Thanks for the correction! hugs,T

NOW PLAYING AT SIMONS MULTIPLEX!
    'The Good,The Bad,The Fundy'

Special Matinee HORROR!!!!
    THIS WILL SCARE YOU,MAKE YOU SCREAM AT NIGHT!!! See-
    'I Was A Teenage JW Pioneer!
    PG-13

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

With a couple of small revisions and a little polishing, the letter has now been sent to the UK Charity Commission governors.

I'll let you know what happens.

Nic'

------------------------

Mr J A Nicolaou
    196 High Road
    Wood Green
    London
    N22 8HH

Charity Commission for England and Wales
    Harmsworth House
    13-15 Bouverie Street
    London
    EC4Y 8DP

Date: 24th October 01
    Ref: dnc/wt-2

RE: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain
    Charity Number: 1077961
    Registration Date: 27th October 1999

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to voice my concern about the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain, the organisation that represents almost 130,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses in this country.

I have been associated with this organisation since childhood and was baptised into the faith more than 21 years ago.
    I remain a nominal Jehovah’s Witness.

My first concern centres on the way this organisation has been misleading both its members and the Charity Commission in that the charity may have been undertaking improper political activities.

In 1992, the Headquarters Organisation of the WTB&TS in New York gained official NGO status with the United Nations Department of Public Information. Following exposure in UK press articles (Guardian 08/10/01 & 15/08/01) the WTB&TS requested that its association with the UN be terminated.

The resultant UN investigation by Mr Paul Hoeffel, (Chief NGO Section, UN-DPI) reached the following conclusion; in Mr Hoeffel’s words “the DPI has made a decision to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9th October 2001”.
    A copy of his letter is enclosed for your inspection.

I would like to ask that the Charity Commission make enquiries of the British branch to ensure that there is no further infringement of this charities political impartiality.

Secondly, I notice at your website http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/cc21.htm#11 that:

“In some cases the advancement of religion is not charitable. This is where public benefit is clearly lacking. Examples of this include:

·organisations where the benefit is wholly private (such as an entirely enclosed religious order where the activities consist only of private prayer); and
    .where an organisation is set up to promote the beliefs of a particular religion which undermine the accepted foundations of religion and morality, or are otherwise contrary to the public interest.”

Where the activities of this charity endanger life by prohibiting life-saving medical procedures, when hundreds of families in the UK have been torn apart by the charities official policy on shunning family members and when child abusers are reputedly offered protection from the law by local congregations it seems difficult to see where the “benefit” or “public interest” really lies.

Please be assured that these are not the ravings of a disgruntled ex-member. I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and intend to remain such for as long as it is within my power to do so. However, I have come to the unavoidable conclusion that this organisation cannot change for the better via internal efforts alone.

Therefore, for the sake of thousands of ordinary families and innocent children within the UK I respectfully ask that the Charity Commission investigate the propriety of awarding charitable status to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain.

Yours faithfully,

Mr J A Nicolaou

http://www.do-not-call.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit