Changing the Watchtowers charitable status (UK)

by nicolaou 25 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The UK Charity Commission lists 'The Advancement of Religion' as one of its 'First Group Charitable Purposes'.

It makes the "general assumption that the advancement of religion is for the public benefit". Hmmmm, not quite sure about that.

Anyway, thinking of the WT, I found clause 21 interesting - here's the whole piece:

begin-------------------------------------------------------

The advancement of religion

19. In general, no distinction is made between one religion and another. There is a general assumption that the advancement of religion is for the public benefit. For the advancement of religion to be charitable, a religion has to:

be founded on a belief in a supreme being or beings; and involve expression of that belief through worship.

20. The advancement of religion can include the provision and upkeep of places of worship, paying ministers or priests, and holding services.

21. In some cases the advancement of religion is not charitable. This is where public benefit is clearly lacking. Examples of this include:

organisations where the benefit is wholly private (such as an entirely enclosed religious order where the activities consist only of private prayer); and where an organisation is set up to promote the beliefs of a particular religion which undermine the accepted foundations of religion and morality, or are otherwise contrary to the public interest.

end-----------------------------------------------------------

What d'yall think?

http://www.do-not-call.org

• nicolaou
  • Celtic
    Celtic

Excellent!!

I emailed through the think tank intranet the Uk Charity Commission.

If you type in International Bible Students Association you will see the charity status number and contact details. The entry can be found onwww.charity-commission.gov.uk

Normally a reply from them takes 15 days, got one in less than 24 hours on the subject of Identification Cards, JW's going from door to door. The case is that they are NOT required to carry identification Only if they were soliciting for funds for the charity.

They have an investigations branch, I have the e-mail address and will post back with it, so that others too can alert the commission to obvious flaws in the WTBTS IBSA organisation.

All the best!!

Celtic

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

All I know is that charity was HIGHLY discouraged when I was growing up. I remember not being able to take canned food for food drives for the hungry to school. It made my heart sick as a child. That has stuck in my heart and conscience so much, and I tend to be very much a "giver" now. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that MY family fell on hard times (when my mother found herself a "widow" with "orphans"), and the ONLY people to come to our aid were the local congregation of Church of Christ where she'd attended as a child. They were not asked to do this, we did not have to grovel--they saw someone in need and filled it--even after she'd spurned them in her 20's when she'd converted to Jehovah's "loving" organization. She continues to be a "faithful" witness to this day. All the brothers could harp on was "more meetings, more service, more prayer, more study". We were hungry at home. She was alone, broke, uneducated (she'd dropped out of college). I'll never, as long as I live forget the charity and true, unconditional love that congregation showed. They never even invited her to their church, they never implied anything, they just helped us in time of need. Even though, I do not worship in the Christian path today, I hold DEEP respect for what those people did. And it left me with a pleasant taste in my mouth for Christendom as a whole. If Jesus was right, and you would know them by their love--those C of C people were it--there simply isn't any love in the WTBTS as a whole. There's some individuals who are loving and charitable, but they are usually discouraged from helping anyone who's not a potential convert.
    So, are the Jehovah's Witnesses a charitable organization? No. Not in the least.
    Whatever charity they purportedly espouse, I believe is very circular and isolated for themselves. Soliciting monies, so you can print and circulate more magazines, so you can gather more converts, to solicit monies, so you can print more magazines......
    Sorry for the length to answer a simple question--painful memories surfaced and demanded voice...
    Love,
    B.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Anita kelly is the point of contact for the Investigations Division for the UK Charity Commission. She writes, 'If you have any concerns about any charity, please do bring it to our attention'.

On the point of ID, no, the Witnesses here in the UK do NOT need to carry ID unless they were soliciting for funds for the charity. She did however mention that it might be prudent for them to do so.

Would one of you email the Ohio case to her please?

Her email address is:

[email protected]

Hope this helps benefit some...

All the best!!

Celtic

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Thanks Celtic, I'll certainly give this a shot.

There are so many angles the 'public benefit' issue could be approached from: blood, group control, shunning, child welfare and development.

It wouldn't be straightforward but we've all seen recently how a concerted effort really can make a difference.

Losing its NGO status will go down as a milestone in recent WT history and rightly so as it will have ramifications for ages.

Losing charitable status in a major country like the UK would be almost too much to hope for. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . so who's up for it?!

Nic'

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Did anybody e-mail Ms. Kelly? I certainly do not feel that this organization (WTBTS) has any right to represent itself as a charitable entity, unless they change their ways, and truly do become useful to society. The information would probably be better presented from a British citizen.
    Please keep us posted.
    Love,
    B.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

This is a letter I'll be sending to the UK Charity Commission governors in the next few days. Please review it critically and make any suggestions for improvement.

As it stands, the letter fits neatly onto a single page - I like that!

Nic'

---------------------

Mr J A Nicolaou
    196 High Road
    Wood Green
    London
    N22 8HH

Charity Commission for England and Wales
    Harmsworth House
    13-15 Bouverie Street
    London
    EC4Y 8DP

Date: 21st October 01
    Ref: dnc/wt-2

RE: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain
    Charity Number: 1077961
    Registration Date: 27th October 1999

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to voice my concern about the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain, the organisation that represents almost 130,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses in this country.

I have been associated with this organisation since childhood and was baptised into the faith more than 21 years ago. I remain a nominal Jehovah’s Witness.

My first concern centres on the way this organisation has been misleading both its members and the Charity Commission in that the charity may have been undertaking improper political activities.
    In 1992, the Headquarters Organisation of the WTB&TS in New York gained official NGO status with the United Nations Department of Public Information. Following exposure in UK press articles (Guardian 08/10/01 & 15/08/01) the WTB&TS requested that its association with the UN be terminated.

The resultant UN investigation by Mr Paul Hoeffel, (Chief NGO Section, UN-DPI) reached the following conclusion; in Mr Hoeffel’s words “the DPI has made a decision to disassociate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York as of 9th October 2001”. A copy of his letter is enclosed for your inspection.

I would like to ask that the Charity Commission make enquiries of the British branch to ensure that there is no further infringement of this charities political impartiality.

Secondly, I notice at your website . http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/cc21.htm#11 that:

“In some cases the advancement of religion is not charitable. This is where public benefit is clearly lacking. Examples of this include:
    (1) organisations where the benefit is wholly private (such as an entirely enclosed religious order where the activities consist only of private prayer); and
    (2)where an organisation is set up to promote the beliefs of a particular religion which undermine the accepted foundations of religion and morality, or are otherwise contrary to the public interest.”

Where the activities of this charity endanger life by prohibiting life-saving medical procedures, when hundreds of families in the UK have been torn apart by the charities official policy on shunning family members and when child abusers are reputedly offered protection from the law by local congregations it seems difficult to see where the “benefit” or “public interest” really lies.

Please be assured that these are not the ravings of a disgruntled ex-member. I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and intend to remain such for as long as it is within my power to do so. However, I have come to the unavoidable conclusion that this organisatition cannot change for the better via internal efforts alone.

Therefore, for the sake of thousands of ordinary families and innocent children within the UK I respectfully ask that the Charity Commission investigate the propriety of awarding the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain charitable status.
    Yours faithfully,

Mr J A Nicolaou

---------------------

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Nicolaou,

thanks for posting this interesting

topic. Great information and and excellent letter.

This one should also be investigated, and I wonder

what kind of answer you'll receive.

Keep us informed, please.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• nelly136
    nelly136

6 What about donations? To make appreciative ones aware of how they can assist, you could say: “Although our literature is offered without charge, we do accept modest donations for our worldwide work.'

taken from this months KM thingy

sounds like collecting money to me
    nelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit